5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

OK GIVING UP! NEED HELP DIED SATURDAY NOW MORE AND MORE PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:22 PM
aheckart91_5.0

Default OK GIVING UP! NEED HELP DIED SATURDAY NOW MORE AND MORE PROBLEMS

ok running down the highway on saturday i was going 85 and when i punched it it would cut out then go again. then when i got to the toll booth (turnpike i live in kansas) and it dies. Push it out of the way and think it's the fuel pump. get it to my grandparents and look it over, checked the plugs none fouled. change out the coil and tfi, the pump works can hear it and its been running, but bad. Limped her home and noticed ths blip in the rpms it revs under throttle then it dips kindof backfires as far as i can tell. so today i checked codes. Got both 12/13 high/low idle and 91 HEGO system lean. Ran a balance test cylnder 1 is weak. Did a wiggle test (whatever the *uck that is) and passed but the car seemed to run worse or better as it pleased. got to a point where it wouldn't start and i slammed my door shatering the glass thats 215 down the drain. Set base timing tonight got to a gas station picked up some dr.p and headed home it started to die at idle barely got her home. Now im out of ideas and out of money i'll put it where it needs to go but i don't want to parts chase like i've seen some do. Also has been runing rich i think the 91 code is why

ooo Quick list of mods i know my sig is out of date: Stock motor with a cold air filter msd cap and rotor ford racing 9mm wires bbk equal length shortys o/r h-pipe and glass pack type mufflers for now. Also t-5 conversion with stock aod comp. and 4.10s in the rear
Old 07-06-2011, 02:29 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

You need to learn to formulate your thoughts a little better.

Have you cleaned the MAF?
Find someone local and try swapping out the WHOLE distributor... not just the TFI. You may be having PIP issues.
Have you tested your fuel pressure? The pump may be weak (would explain the lean codes).

And please calm the **** down, slamming doors isn't going to fix the engine.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 AM
wydopnthrtl
2nd Gear Member

It kinda sounds like it gets worse with heat? If so.. I'd be looking at the coil or electronics in the distributor. While your at it check that your battery ground to the block and body are in good shape. (fresh metal touching with dielectric grease will do wonders)

Regards,
Rich
Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 AM
aheckart91_5.0

To adder: ya i know and now im paying the price for it also yes i cleaned the maf yesterday with maf cleaner. I will check that today sometime but would that explain the rich smell?
To rich: yes and no the car idled for 5 or so minutes and got pretty hot then driving home it cooled down it was about 80 outside and the temp gauge said bout 150-160 when the problems started last night.
General update: took it to practice this morning noticed the hesitation on the way there kinda bad heard it but didnt see it on the tach and again on the way home less so but it as there.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:48 AM
wydopnthrtl
2nd Gear Member

If mine were doing that I'd be looking at everything ignition related.

Loss of fuel has a feel of a lack of power. Ignition problems have more of a cutting in and out feel. And when it runs good cold.. then gets worse with *engine* heat. Its almost certianly something electronic. (Ambient temps don't mean anything)

One other thing... I've seen crank position sensors do this too.

Regards,
Rich
Old 07-06-2011, 09:40 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
One other thing... I've seen crank position sensors do this too.
We dont have those... He should stick to the advise I gave him.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:02 AM
aheckart91_5.0

adder im going to go look and see if i can get a mechanical gauge to put on my rail i lost my tester and it seems like a good thing to have also ill look into the dizzy. if i am seeing low fp the first line of action is new pump right? than look for oe dizzy at the parts store ill check back here periodicly so tell me if im wrong.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

if your pressure is low, the first thing to do is disconnect the vac line from the fuel pressure regulator. If the pressure stays low, its your pump.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:36 AM
aheckart91_5.0

psi looks good 30 psi at idle 33-35 under throttle... so dizzy now? i went to the parts store and theres a steel and theres a cast iron and the guy down there doesnt know nor can i find a good number off the side of it all i found was E4ZE-12131-AA
Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM
4literranger485

my fuel pressure is at 40 at idle, with the vacuum unplugged from the fuel pressure regulator. drops slightly when vacuum is connected but not down to 30.

i'm sure others will chime in, but that sounds kinda low to me

Quick Reply: OK GIVING UP! NEED HELP DIED SATURDAY NOW MORE AND MORE PROBLEMS