5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

12v Start/Run source

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:22 AM
BlackCherry5Oh

Default 12v Start/Run source

89 GT here, are there any fuses in the fuse panel that are hot in the start AND run position but dead when the key is off? I have a switch panel that needs power is those 2 positions and I bought an add a circuit but am unsure where to put it. Current draw is minimal, maybe 3 amps.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:04 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

I doubt it. I could be wrong though, so you can test each circuit with your multimeter.

You could wire it directly to the battery (or solenoid post) for constant power. You'd have to remember to turn it off each time though.

Or run two wires to it, one that is powered by a switched source, and a second that is run from the switched side of the starter solenoid. Be sure to have a diode on the switched wire you run so you don't run juice from the starter solenoid back up the switched wire.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:09 PM
BlackCherry5Oh

I remember seeing a diagram saying #18 is hot in start and run, maybe someone can confirm this. I really dont want it hot at all times but if i have to i will. The 2 wire idea won't work because one of the switches needs power in run and while cranking, not one or the either.

Here's the panel:

Fits where the ashtray was, top 2 control fuel pump and mallory box and the bottom is a 3 way for my Taurus fan.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:19 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackCherry5Oh
The 2 wire idea won't work because one of the switches needs power in run and while cranking, not one or the either.
The method I described would give you power during both. When the switched lead loses its juice, the wire from the switched post on the solenoid takes over. That is the reason you need the diode since you'd be adding power to the "backside" of the keyed power source.

I do grant you that this method is a bit of a kludge, and there is probably a better way.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:37 PM
BlackCherry5Oh

I see what you mean, now I have to find those 2 sources. Oh and my heater core let go tonight too so noe I get to experience that wonderful little project.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:28 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

I moved to central Florida from VT a few years ago. You should be needing that heater core in another month, right?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:46 PM
BlackCherry5Oh

2 months maybe , where in VT were you?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:22 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

I was in Waterbury Center. I really liked the slow pace of life there, which is completely different from Orlando. I'll get back to the snow in a year or two, once I am done with school. I fell in love with the Rockies when I went skiing out there 20 years ago so that is what I am shooting for now.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:00 AM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackCherry5Oh
I remember seeing a diagram saying #18 is hot in start and run, maybe someone can confirm this. I really dont want it hot at all times but if i have to i will. The 2 wire idea won't work because one of the switches needs power in run and while cranking, not one or the either.

Here's the panel:

Fits where the ashtray was, top 2 control fuel pump and mallory box and the bottom is a 3 way for my Taurus fan.
where did you get that panel?? i could definitely use something like this to go with my engine install in a month or two - going to need some switches for my megasquirt.