5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Looking for some T5 info

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Nice write up. It looks fairly straight forward and doable. I am going to try it myself and hope for the best. I plan on getting it here in a few weeks and I am really looking forward to it. I decided I'd rather have a 5 speed than a motorcycle. Safer and just as much, if not more, fun.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:30 AM
Force4
3rd Gear Member

T-5 if driven right can live forever... let me tell you. Mines at 98k now but for the last 30,000 miles it has seen chaos. Started out with a 351w stock for a year, upgraded to a h/h/i setup for 2 years, then turbo charged it last year. Now I am back to a n/a 393 setup and the same original 1983 NON world class trans is still in commission. No grinding, still shifts like a champ!
Old 07-23-2011, 02:01 AM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

ok just to jump in with a quick question and not to thread jack, but eventually I will be converting my car to an MAF engine and then do upper end work. I'd say in total around 400 ponies rough guess, but if I rebuild the tranny with more durable parts how well will it handle this power? Better yet, how much power could I expect it to hold
Old 07-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Tig

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
about 300 LESS than an AOD

they arent what people make them out to be. 5k launches is what hurts them as long as it was built right...a crap rebuild might not last, but is still better than a AOD

3500 rpm launches on cheater slicks and you should be good til you break into the 11's

imo you'll break an axle b4 a t5, but ive broken a couple t5's, good thing is they are cheap and easy to fix
300 less than an AOD, hah. You're right, they are a hell of a lot better than an AOD.
I dont really plan on going to the strip, maybe once or twice.
Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
ive owned 3 5 speed 5.0's and 2 aod's

all else equal....in a t5 car.....you'll think you added 100 hp to it

read this.... http://www.westcoastmustangs.com/art...ap/t5swap.html

the swap is pretty easy (ive never done it) and not that expensive really. especially if you compare how much you'd spend to get into the new et bracket that you'll be in after the swap.

my slowest 5 speed was way faster than my fastest aod, hands down
I'm waiting for the excitement of bangin the gears. Hah, you're right it will feel like an extra 100hp.
Thats some good info. Thanks for the link, I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Force4
T-5 if driven right can live forever... let me tell you. Mines at 98k now but for the last 30,000 miles it has seen chaos. Started out with a 351w stock for a year, upgraded to a h/h/i setup for 2 years, then turbo charged it last year. Now I am back to a n/a 393 setup and the same original 1983 NON world class trans is still in commission. No grinding, still shifts like a champ!
"T-5 if driven right can live forever" Thats what I have been hearing more often. Thats good news, especially mounted to a 351w.
Good news man, I apreciate it.

Originally Posted by mustangGT86_05
ok just to jump in with a quick question and not to thread jack, but eventually I will be converting my car to an MAF engine and then do upper end work. I'd say in total around 400 ponies rough guess, but if I rebuild the tranny with more durable parts how well will it handle this power? Better yet, how much power could I expect it to hold
If you rebuild it with G-Force parts, you will not have to worry about your tranny.
If you get factory parts I believe it can handle somewhere around 450/350.

I have found a local yard that sells complete kits for 1000. That includes every nut and bolt as well as a rebuilt to factory spec T5. Not bad huh?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Tig

So, I have heard of G-Force, Astro and Promotion for T5 transmissions.
They all have some pretty nice setups, accept I dont know much about Promotion, I know G-Force and Astro both have some pretty stout gear sets. Promotion has decent package.
My question is. Has anyone heard of these guys? http://levyracing.com/
They have a pretty respectable background with Ford as well as being in the performance field.
Thanks
Old 08-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

I'm ordering all my stuff tomorrow. Wish me luck, not sure when it will get here but my plan is to install the pedal box first and then do the rest shortly after. I can't wait to be grinding gears soon!!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:01 AM
yfz 450

my t-5 has 118,000 miles on it. i am running a 12.2 with a 1.8 short time. that is with 4.10 gears and a crate motor rated at the crank with 350hp. i am lifting the wheels off the line no high but like 4 inches on the driverside and 2 on the passanger. i also have beefed controle arms and run micky tompson e.t. streets can be pretty sticky. but i dont really powershift
Old 08-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Tig

Originally Posted by Mustangs4U
I'm ordering all my stuff tomorrow. Wish me luck, not sure when it will get here but my plan is to install the pedal box first and then do the rest shortly after. I can't wait to be grinding gears soon!!!!
Good luck man, I'm jealous. Thats what I'm going to do, install the pedal box first then the rest will fall into place.
Where are you ordering your parts from?
I don think you want to be "grinding" gears, hah.

Originally Posted by yfz 450
my t-5 has 118,000 miles on it. i am running a 12.2 with a 1.8 short time. that is with 4.10 gears and a crate motor rated at the crank with 350hp. i am lifting the wheels off the line no high but like 4 inches on the driverside and 2 on the passanger. i also have beefed controle arms and run micky tompson e.t. streets can be pretty sticky. but i dont really powershift
Good news man. Lets see your ride.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Hey Tig,
LOL, you're right, I don't want to be grinding gears but rather shifting gears. I ordered mine today from AMPPerformance. They are awesome to deal with and the kit I ordered came with a few upgrades too. I also ordered a Steeda TriAx shifter and can't wait to put that on too. I've heard of people ordering their parts piece by piece but I worried about missing bolts or something important in the middle of my install. Just seemed easier to just have it all in one place.

I'll let you know how it goes on.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Well, now the wait until it shows up. I was wondering, while I wait, can you remove the speedo cable and move it over without dropping the steering column or should I just wait and do it along with the pedal box install?

Quick Reply: Looking for some T5 info