5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Strut won't come off!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:38 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Default Strut won't come off!!

The PS side came off in 1 second, but he driver I spent 2 hours and it wont budge. The Ds side has no square edge to hold the strut while you loosen the nut. I've bout a nut splitter and a nut chisel and ive gotten no where.

I've never said this, but Im about done with fords BS, plus this is the slowes the ****en car. Ive had neons, eclipses and camaros leave me in the f'en dust!.

I can't help it, im over a car the get beat by chevy suburbans.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:23 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Sounds like you need to learn how to drive your car and also realize that most cars on the roads nowadays have more power and torque with alot less displacement....

Its called air tools....never had an issue with the nut. How are you going about removing them?
Old 07-20-2011, 03:34 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

unbolt the strut mount
Old 07-20-2011, 09:45 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Sounds like you need to learn how to drive your car and also realize that most cars on the roads nowadays have more power and torque with alot less displacement....

Its called air tools....never had an issue with the nut. How are you going about removing them?
Sorry, I was really pissed off yersterday. I went ahead and returned the shock and struts and won't attempt until I get an impact gun.

I'm pretty sure the driver side strut in OE, since it has no square end on it.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:05 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I don't think I have seen any with a square end.... just do what adder said and remove the whole strut mount. that way you can use a vice or something to hold the strut while you remove the nut.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:09 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by camaroeater
I've never said this, but Im about done with fords BS, plus this is the slowes the ****en car. Ive had neons, eclipses and camaros leave me in the f'en dust!.

I can't help it, im over a car the get beat by chevy suburbans.
what do you expect from a stock mustang?? you have no real mods, can't expect a 20 year old ride to still compete with the new technology that is now out without adding some yourself.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:10 AM
guitar00dude
1st Gear Member

I had the same problem with my 89. Stock struts. I bought a dremel from walmart and cut the bolt in half. After hours of frustration as you had, It was done in 10 minutes.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:19 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
what do you expect from a stock mustang?? you have no real mods, can't expect a 20 year old ride to still compete with the new technology that is now out without adding some yourself.
Sorry Mjr46, i was pissed and drunk as hell yesterday. I don't expect my car to be fast with what i done to it.

That a good idea to just remove the whole strut, so i can have somewhere to hold it.

Even the new struts had the square, but as you guys have stated, theres other ways to get it off.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:47 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by guitar00dude
I had the same problem with my 89. Stock struts. I bought a dremel from walmart and cut the bolt in half. After hours of frustration as you had, It was done in 10 minutes.
The top strut nut is so messed up, I think it'll be easier if i just cut it out how you did.

I have a reciprocating saw, would i have enough room to cut the bolt underneath the strut mount?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:01 AM
guitar00dude
1st Gear Member

I am not sure where you mean. I cut a line through the top strut bolt. My friend was holding the strut so it wouldn't just fall out. Just be careful not to cut into the metal bushing that is under the bolt.

Quick Reply: Strut won't come off!!