5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Smoked out Dyno room

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 03:24 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Default Smoked out Dyno room

Ok, I'll start at the beginning. 4 years ago I bought my first Mustang from a friend of a friend of somebody's cousin. Its an 88 notch, decent car but no show car. I was told motor was a fresh rebuild with all the bolt-ons, ported and polished E-7's ( I know ), rebuilt aod with shift kit and stall, 3.55 gears in back, new struts,shocks,radiator, well somebody put alot of money into this car. Now the motor looked fresh (all gaskets/paint etc.) And I had no reason not to trust this friend of a friend.....so I bought the car. Put 1500 miles on it, thinking this motor was probably never broke-in, and having a great time. It ran great, well she's an eye burner at idle, and maybe pushes little blue smoke in the upper rpm's, but a fun car. Now this friend did find out that they put full synthetic oil in after rebuild so I changed that at 200 miles to regular oil to help break in
Old 08-18-2011, 04:45 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Sorry, smart phone not being very smart right now. Well 1500 miles I decided it was time for some dyno time to see what she has. On the third pull, at around 6000 rpm, thick oil smoke started spewing out the exhaust filling Dyno room. Has the operator brought the car back to idol,
Old 08-18-2011, 04:56 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Sorry, smart phone not being very smart right now. Well 1500 miles I decided it was time for some dyno time to see what she has. On the third pull, at around 6000 rpm, thick oil smoke started spewing out the exhaust filling Dyno room. As the operator brought the car back to idle, and I'm pondering how to get the car home, the smoking stopped. There was no bang, noise or different tone on that pull. Just alot of smoke. They pulled the car out like nothing happened saying they might have taken it alitttle to high. Now to shorten story, I have put over 12000 trouble free miles on this car, some at a quarter mile at a time, and it has never done that again. So was wondering what caused that, broken ring?something wrong with the heads? There was oil actually dropping out the tail pipes on the dyno. Thanks for your patience and any replys.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:42 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you most likely saw condensation dropping out the exhaust at the back, never had oil make it that far, it'd have to be a gallon or so to travel that distance and through the muffler baffles and over the tailpipe humps, catch my drift?? , do a compression test and leakdown test if you're worried
Old 08-18-2011, 10:44 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

I wonder if the pcv failed or the oil splash shield wasn't put on lower intake? I forgot to put mine on and let me tell at 5k I had one he'll of a smoke show lol

And about the oil dripping out the pipes don't call shenanigans cause I have seen it with my own eyes as well
Old 08-19-2011, 07:19 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Well it was definitely oil coming out the tailpipes, not pouring out, but a drip every 2-3 seconds for a while. So out of curiosity, at 6000 rpm, of the 5 quarts of oil in the motor how much is still in pan and how much is circulating in the block? I'm picturing oil pooling up somewhere in the top and somehow getting into the cylinders. Pcv valve was a good place to start, but it still checks out good. Oil splash shield, maybe, I've never took the intake off yet. But its never did it again, but then again I have never held it at redline as long as they did on the Dyno. Compression all checked out good and even. Never did a leak down test. Motor still very strong, but still pushing the blues on top end, little worse than before. Thanks again for the replys.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:27 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

At upper rpm only sounds like lack of or more needed crankcase vent ie. Pcv which only does so much

Have you checked to see how much blow bye you might have pull oil cap/breather off and see if it chuffs smoke rev it to. Plus pull dipstick and see what is coming from crankcase
Old 08-19-2011, 01:28 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Ok, I'll try that tonight. Since you mentioned the breathers in valve covers, I did notice that the bottom of hood has slight oil stains above breathers. Is there a better way to vent crankcase?
Old 08-19-2011, 01:35 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

to puke tanks and run a evac pump, but that's serious money, otherwise delete pcv and put two fittings in the valve covers for -10an line and run the line to a puke tank/s
Old 08-19-2011, 02:14 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

^^^^ that's the cheapest and I would do it

Quick Reply: Smoked out Dyno room