5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Smog Pump? What now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Shaft
1st Gear Member

Default Smog Pump? What now?

If you have seen my other threads you know that I recently changed the radiator, thermostat, and water pump in my 93 vert. We go to fire it up today it runs smooth for few seconds and then starts squealing. Shut it down and found that the smog pump was now causing problems. We removed it and decided to bypass it with a shorter serpentine belt. Everything is running fine now.

I have one question. Now that the smog pump has been removed, what do I do with the hoses we disconnected? Do I need to put a filter on them or close them up with duct tape or something? Please help me out here.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:35 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

If you are refering to the steel tube that runs across the back of the heads, it can be removed, and the holes plugged. The holes that you will need to plug are threaded. They take a 5/8-11 thread. Bolts of this size can be bought from most hardware stores. Usually 1" in length. I strongly suggest a washer or two, as the depth of the hole wont always allow a 1" bolt to fit.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Shaft
1st Gear Member

Can I leave the tubes there and plug them? I'd like to leave everything intact in case I need to put the pump back on in the future.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Shaft
1st Gear Member

The hardware store only has 5/8 bolts in 1.5" length. So I'm going to go cut them down tomorrow. I got the tube off on the driver's side; the one of the passenger's side is proving to be a pain. I'll try again tomorrow when there's a little more light. Should I remove the heater hoses in order to allow easier access to that head?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Shaft
1st Gear Member

Well, I gotter done. I had to use 9/16 bolts because 5/8 were too big. I found some 1 inch ones at Fastenal and used 3 washers on each one. Broke two vacuum lines and my cruise control cable in the mealy. Those vacuum lines were so brittle you could sneeze on them and they'd break. I fixed them with some 1/4 hose and shrink wrap. The cruise control cable broke from the throttle body, but since I rarely use it I am in no hurry to fix it.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:22 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Shaft
Well, I gotter done. I had to use 9/16 bolts because 5/8 were too big. I found some 1 inch ones at Fastenal and used 3 washers on each one. Broke two vacuum lines and my cruise control cable in the mealy. Those vacuum lines were so brittle you could sneeze on them and they'd break. I fixed them with some 1/4 hose and shrink wrap. The cruise control cable broke from the throttle body, but since I rarely use it I am in no hurry to fix it.
the 5/8 are NOT too big. go take the 9/16" bolts out, slap yourself up side the head, clean the threads out and put the correct hardware in there.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Shaft
1st Gear Member

I saw one write on the mod and they used 9/16 on a 94. As tight as those 9/16's were I don't see how 5/8 would work. They're in, they're tight, they're not going anywhere.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:13 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

YOU ARE WRONG...... I DON'T MAKE THIS **** UP

The write-up on allfordmustangs.com is incorrect. I have appealed the the site mods to fix it, and they basically told me to get bent.

Would you like me to post the picture of the TFS thermactor plugs? The ones that have the bag that even says 5/8-11"?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Shaft
1st Gear Member

I don't think that's necessary. They worked for me, that's all that matters. If they fall out, then I'll put 5/8 back in there.

By any chance are you an engineer?
Old 08-30-2011, 07:09 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

When I removed the pipe at the back of the heads on one of my Capris, the threads were very carboned up and I tried everything to get them clean enough to run bolts in.... and there just isn't enough room back there to run a thread tap.

So thinking oustide the box, I cut two oval shaped plated out of some 1/8" steel and drilled a small hole in one end. I used the same bolts that held the smog tube the back of the heads to hold the plates on to cover the larger holes... just needed some RTV to make sure they were sealed up nice and good.

That was 8 years ago and still no problems... just thought I'd throw this alternative solution to this problem incase anyone else can't get the threads clean enought to use some 5/8 bolts to plug those smog holes.

Quick Reply: Smog Pump? What now?