5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5.0 computer question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 12:26 AM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

Default 5.0 computer question

My 65 has a efi 5.0 engine but for some reason it started to bogg. In first gear once rpm hit 3500 it stalls and i s shift to $econd it goes till i hit 3500 again.. I went to get the timing set the computer wont advance they told me computer was toast. The car runs but stalls any ideas? Why it wont advance timing
Old 09-11-2011, 01:52 AM
tomaschurizoe

what year is the efi setup from? Have you done any work to the car recently?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:25 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

check the SPOUT circuit and make sure no wires are broken
Old 09-11-2011, 09:27 PM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

(I was on my phone with last post, kind of not worded right sorry) My car has a 92 5.0 with a t5. About a week ago i went to get it inspected and once I took off it started stalling. I took it to a shop and they supposably put it right on timing since it was off. They put it at 10 don't know after or before tdcbut it would pop backfire. They said my cam was rounded out that I needed a new one. Not being happy thinking how is it going to get rounded if it was working good just about and hour earlier. I took it yesterday to another shop so they could take a look at it (supposably mustang speciallist, basicly thats all they work on). This guy told me it was a hydraulic cam and that those dont get rounded. What he told me is that when he put it at 14 , again dont know if after or before. It would launch better bout you could hear some noise coming from the motor. He checked it out and then pointed out that the timing wouldn't advance after putting the spout back in. Is that really suppose to happen, remove spout, set time, install spout and timing will advance? He told me my computer was no good and I needed another one. I called and thery are from 100-150 depending which one i have. I would hate to spend that money if it isn't that. Do any of you know if the computer is bad the timing wont advance? Also since the timing is of it is running rich, your eyes start to burn being around the car for a while. Thanks for all your help, sorry for long story. No work on the car after getting it inspected, before all they did was weld the exhaust.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:44 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
check the SPOUT circuit and make sure no wires are broken
AHEM.....

you've already been pointed in the right direction. If the above mentioned checks out fine, then yes, its time for an ECM.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:31 PM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

I checked the spout both pins are good, wiring looks good no cracks or boken wires . I guess I will be ordering a new 9al tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:48 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

did you test the wires from the spout connector to the ECM for continuity?

Test, test, test, and when you think you are done testing, test again. It'll prevent you from spending unnecessarily.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:02 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

I'll bet my toolbox the computer isn't the issue. That problem is too specific, computer failures are much more in your face.

Like adder said, the spout circuit controls the timing, but you could also look into other ignition related failures, like a coil that can't keep up, or a melted aluminum contact inside the dizzy cap, **** like that.

Another way out there possibility is the roll pin for the dizzy gear has collapsed, causing flop and erratic timing. Extremely rare, but not unheard of.

Think small. Whatever is causing this, it's not the PCM.

Last edited by mattdel; 09-13-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:28 PM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

I took of the pcm and when I removed it I noticed it was missing a pin off the 60.it only had 59, dont know maybe hoping that is the problem. I looked around and couldnt find a used one. I ordered one from advance $100 and one year warranty. i hope that is what was wrong but it was running fine. Im going to go pick itt up tomorrow and hopefully install it once I get home. Is there a special way to install besides having battery disconected?

Last edited by guybored; 09-13-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:41 AM
tomaschurizoe

" No work on the car after getting it inspected, before all they did was weld the exhaust."

if they forgot to disconnect the battery before welding then the computer could very easily become suspect. I always disconnect the ECM ground and B- to weld. But, in a rush its easy to forget

Quick Reply: 5.0 computer question