5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Capri RS question

Old 09-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Terribleted

Default Capri RS question

First day at Mustang Forums and alrready need help. I own a 1979 Capri RS 5.0 4spd. I have modified the engine with cam, intake and carb. I have also added headers, duals, double hump tranny cross member and 411 rear. Now my question. The radiator support is messed up from a previous owner hooking on to it to tow. It is bent all to hell. I have searched on line for one but can only find them back to 1983? Will this work? Also the 411 was an unwise choice with the 4spd, is a T5 a direct bolt in or does it require mods? Thank you all for any advice you can give.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:09 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

83 radiator support should be fine. and the T5 would be a poor choice. Do yourself a favor sooner rather than later, and buy a tremec (TKO, 3550, 500, or 600)
Old 09-19-2011, 10:39 PM
GT350R

There are differences on the core support. I think its 79-82 from the lower half and rear headlight buckets, and and 79-83 for the top rail. Dimensions are the same to add a later one, but it will be spotted by the nerds like me and would be assumed to have been wrecked. Check over on www.foureyedpride.com as I am sure someone can find you a new or used section that would set you up.

You could swap to a t5 pretty easy.

3550 would cost too much, and would not be worth the damaged to your trans tunnel for the benifit. Most people just stuff them in and have NO IDEA what they do to the pinion angle. You need to beat the **** out of the tunnel to get a TKO/3550 high enough. You will know when your making enough power to need a bigger trans.

A t5 will almost swap. The bell you have is , funny enough, the sam ebolt pattern as a TKO/3550. So easy to sell. You will need a common 83-up style bell housing. You will also need the shifter. I think you will reuse your cable as I remember the 79 pedals being different. Pretty sure your driveshaft is reuseable too.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:54 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by GT350R
There are differences on the core support. I think its 79-82 from the lower half and rear headlight buckets, and and 79-83 for the top rail. Dimensions are the same to add a later one, but it will be spotted by the nerds like me and would be assumed to have been wrecked. Check over on www.foureyedpride.com as I am sure someone can find you a new or used section that would set you up.

You could swap to a t5 pretty easy.

3550 would cost too much, and would not be worth the damaged to your trans tunnel for the benifit. Most people just stuff them in and have NO IDEA what they do to the pinion angle. You need to beat the **** out of the tunnel to get a TKO/3550 high enough. You will know when your making enough power to need a bigger trans.

A t5 will almost swap. The bell you have is , funny enough, the sam ebolt pattern as a TKO/3550. So easy to sell. You will need a common 83-up style bell housing. You will also need the shifter. I think you will reuse your cable as I remember the 79 pedals being different. Pretty sure your driveshaft is reuseable too.
What the hell are you talking about? The 3550 is BARELY bigger than a T5, and slid right in place. Is it an issue on the early foxes? I know it fits perfect in my 94, and didnt require any tunnel bashing in my buddies 86!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:26 PM
GT350R

Better check yours and your buddies 86 out better. His would be worse by tunnel design alone. Your car is obviously not lowered , and sometimes they can flip angles if they sit high enough in the rear. Lowered cars are a MUCH bigger problem. Obviously most people cant change pinion angle at the axle with typical street parts, so you have to either lower the motor, or raise the tail.

I know I am a new guy and by post count/internet credits, I couldnt possibley know enough. Just saying to look into it. Maybe a quick google search or something would do.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:57 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by GT350R
Better check yours and your buddies 86 out better. His would be worse by tunnel design alone. Your car is obviously not lowered , and sometimes they can flip angles if they sit high enough in the rear. Lowered cars are a MUCH bigger problem. Obviously most people cant change pinion angle at the axle with typical street parts, so you have to either lower the motor, or raise the tail.

I know I am a new guy and by post count/internet credits, I couldnt possibley know enough. Just saying to look into it. Maybe a quick google search or something would do.
I know for a fact that my trans doesn't hit anywhere in my tunnel. That's using a factory height mount, plate and cross member. As for my pinion angle... I'm currently set at -1.5° from the crank angle. Which is a -6° front to rear angle. (read: front higher than back)
Old 09-20-2011, 01:02 AM
GT350R

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
I know for a fact that my trans doesn't hit anywhere in my tunnel. That's using a factory height mount, plate and cross member. As for my pinion angle... I'm currently set at -1.5° from the crank angle. Which is a -6° front to rear angle. (read: front higher than back)
Ok, I looked at your set up.

You have solid mounts and adjustible arms. I am guessing the mounts had some drop , which helped level out your drivetrain. That allows a better angle without contact. Then you also have adjustible arms. If you know the numbers, its obviously something you have worked with. No debating or commenting on your numbers. Just saying its not a toss in and forget it , and you obviously have parts made specificly to correct. (you didnt mention flipping the crossmember? )

Tremec specifcly lowered the tail (rasied the mounting pad) to clear the tunnel. They did that, not me guessing.

I couldnt imagine trying to pour out years worth of info in a couple posts. Do a couple searchs, or even check one of the bigger boards. Hit corral and search "Tremec vibration" and I know there have been TONS of info posted over there.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Terribleted

Thanks for the info. Decided to go with a T-5 just due to cost. I will let you know how it works out.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:08 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

to lay any issue to rest I OWN A 85, AND MY TREMEC 3550 DOES NOT HIT THE TUNNEL NOR IS IT EVEN CLOSE , I have never had such the issue PINION ANGLE AND TAILSHAFT HAVE ALL BEEN CHECKED!! NO ISSUE!! AS FOR COST, bought mine used, came with bellhousing, clutch fork and mgw shifter, all for 1200.00, and yes I've read supposive claims on the internet

Last edited by mjr46; 09-24-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:02 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

^^^^^amen!! My 600 has no fitment issues whatsoever. Plenty of room.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Capri RS question