5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

sn-95 3.8 to 5.0 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
I've been in the automotive industry for a long time... the only thing I see him doing in wasting time and effort on a pipe dream.
Haven't we all blown money on something like this, only to learn from it? This is not impossible. Give the kid a break. Sheesh. If he gets it running and drives it for a year or so and dumps it for 1500.00 or less, he still will have learned a lot of lessons about cars, money and hard work. AND, he gets to do this with his Dad. A cold beer with Dad after a long day of work on a car is one of those things in life that you just cannot place a value on.

Good luck, OP, and keep asking questions. Not everyone wants to pee on your parade. keep us posted on how your project is coming.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:44 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
And you are just as ignorant..............

There is no reason for him to go to a carb setup. Why wouldn't it work correctly? Putting a EFI 5.0 in a SN is just as easy as a fox body. Its just harder to find the correct wiring since it was only built 2 years. The v6 trans will bolt up, just not the bell housing. He would need a 94+ T5 from a mustang because a fox T5 doesn't sit far enough back and the shifter will be too close to the radio and possible cause issues. You CAN run a fox T5 and bell but again it can cause clearance issues in the interior.
NO dude, you're ignorant. The kid is 15 years old, how much money do you think he has for future mods? Tuning? ****, a decent aftermarket EFI intake setup alone is $1500, then you need some stupid CAI and then you have to get it tuned. Change your cam, gotta tune it again. IT'S NOT COST EFFECTIVE FOR A KID!

With a carb setup, he can do more mods and it'll mostly auto adjust. Not to mention he might actually LEARN HOW TO TUNE IT HIMSELF! OMFG what a ****in concept! Holy ****, it's SOOO freakin hard to change the JETS!

As for the T5 stuff, I said from a 5.0L, I never said anything about a Fox. Remember 94/95 were 5.0L's too. Although, technically the trans was a T-45 from the SN-95's. I'll be sure to be more specific next time.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:03 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

NO dude....the 5.0 DOES NOT need a TUNE with every little mod...You can do a good EFI setup for well under 500 bucks if you know where to look. I did my whole motor swap and EFI swap for under $500 just a couple months ago....Just because the kid is 15 doesn't mean he can't do the swap and make it work. Thats what Dad is for...

AND NO the T45 was for the 4.6 not for the 5.0 so not all SN's had a T45....Don't even try to argue with me on the subject.....
Old 11-05-2011, 07:23 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

NO dude....the 5.0 DOES NOT need a TUNE with every little mod...You can do a good EFI setup for well under 500 bucks if you know where to look. I did my whole motor swap and EFI swap for under $500 just a couple months ago....Just because the kid is 15 doesn't mean he can't do the swap and make it work. Thats what Dad is for...

AND NO the T45 was for the 4.6 not for the 5.0 so not all SN's had a T45....Don't even try to argue with me on the subject.....
Yeah dude because you're all knowing.

We all have opinions, I personally prefer a carb to EFI on a 302. And yeah, I could convert to EFI for pretty cheaply also, if I want to use used stuff or some cheap eBay knockoffs, which are almost no different than the factory stuff. And even still, it would cost more than new or refurbished carb parts.
And then you gotta mess with all the wiring to get it in there, the carb setup, not so much. I've drove carbed mustangs for a long time and they were every bit as reliable as any EFI car I've ever had. Ran better and had WAY WAY WAY better throttle response.

As for the transmissions, well all of those T-5's and T-45's are total crap. They can't withstand any real punishment.

Opinions are like ********, everybody's got one and they all stink.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:47 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Never said I was all knowing. Just saying that my information is correct. None of my parts are knock offs of any kind either and it runs great. Just gotta know what stock parts are better than stock mustang parts. Just gotta know where to look, waiting on deals and have stuff to trade back and forth.

What I say has nothing to do about opinions or preferences. I am going off what the OP wanted to know about....and yes, stock T5/T45's are crap...to a point... some of them can withstand power and some can't...
Old 11-05-2011, 10:54 PM
5.0 wannabe

Resto thanks for the kind words, and carbed was a thought for awhile, but fuel injection is easier as the 5.0 I have is wearing half the parts I need already.
An update to my questions, Seems being skeptical on parts proved fruitless, I was pulling the motor with one of my friends ((dads also)), last night when dad got in from a last minute call up for work ((He drives truck, and had to run a load for someone who called in)). Anyways
We were just about to place the 3.8 on the floor, when we hear, Hey get over here and give me a hand. Walking out, there was a 5.0 stamped bellhousing, trans, and assorted parts in the bed of his pickup.
As we unload, I learn car is scheduled for alot more things then I originally thought.
The 5.0 I have is a 93, but internally it wears h rods already, and forged pistons, was dads playtoy till him and my mom split, He decided to drive over the road awhile and kinda disappeared. So car sat a good deal off time and well seems salt from the road and grass did the damage enough for him to scrap the car but kep its powerplant.
So every other weekend it appears him and I are going to get this thing running. I have till july before I get my license.

As for those ragging on me on my spelling and mishap on wording, I will be sure to bust someone's chops next time i see misspells, grammar errors, and blatant inability to spell. Sound far? I was here to ask a question about a stupid car, not get a grammar lesson, I did however mean that as respectful as I could be, for someone suggesting I scrap my car.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:07 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Never said I was all knowing. Just saying that my information is correct. None of my parts are knock offs of any kind either and it runs great. Just gotta know what stock parts are better than stock mustang parts. Just gotta know where to look, waiting on deals and have stuff to trade back and forth.

What I say has nothing to do about opinions or preferences. I am going off what the OP wanted to know about....and yes, stock T5/T45's are crap...to a point... some of them can withstand power and some can't...
Your info is correct, I agree on that. I paid $40 for a complete intake setup(upper, lower, TB, fuel rail, injectors) at a local swap meet. Then you just get the fuel pump, ~$100. Finally just need the computer and harness which he already has.

Last edited by 1slow67; 11-05-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:08 PM
5.0 wannabe

I did as well manage torun the new harness thru the passenger wall. I got everything in place, but am curious, My new harness sports a connector for the maf, and assuming cols air meter? Not entirely sure as the mustang wore a cold air kit as well as the t-bird, neight have a factory airbox. I assume the Cold air originally had the maf sensor run out of the airbox to the maf, assumed by the body plug?
If so I plan on using my v-6 cai, install a bung for it to sit inside the aluminum housing and having the end that connect to the throttle body recurved to match the angle on the throttlebody/tube size.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:13 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

So it has 2 plugs in one location?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:17 PM
5.0 wannabe

Originally Posted by 1slow67
So it has 2 plugs in one location?
Kinda sorta, there is the connector back to the comp harness a three inch lead maybe, the Maf hookup, then a sensor with a body plug, if it helps the sensor that plugs in is completely brass in color.
I apologize for my misspells as well, appears I cant edit my words after sending either, err.

Quick Reply: sn-95 3.8 to 5.0 swap