5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

sn-95 3.8 to 5.0 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:27 PM
5.0 wannabe

Should have stated as well the remote tfi unit is real close in same connection area.
I did notice that I will have to drill 2 holes and weld a nut on backside of fender so I mount my tfi. Nothing to big to worry on. Reason I want to retain my v-6 cai unit is that it dropped the k@n filter inside the passenger fender, and sat facing the headlight. I can talk another friend into mocking a setup that will drop the thing below my front bumper.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:36 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

You can it just takes extra time. If using a phone you have to scroll all the way down and select normal version, I think it is in the lower left hand corner. Then it will load the screen like you are on a computer and give you the option to edit.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:58 PM
5.0 wannabe

Odd on lappy or my evo shift not seeing option to edit. On the plus side I will be sure to post some pics of the questionable plug ins. I did mock up rest of harness with engine on stand found 3 sensors to be swapped off the 93 easy nuff to do while motor is on stand. Also noticed a cut in the red green wiring runningfrom harness to whatever. No biggie I will find where it needs to lead and solder it. Can't be to difficult.
Dad seems more wrapped for this project then me. Being honest kind of scare me a little. Has more interest in this car then painting his 69 cougar.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:58 AM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by P Zero
a decent aftermarket EFI intake setup alone is $1500
Please, show me where you buy your intakes, because it sounds like they are made out of gold.

I have a few answers for you. Trans reliability...ok t5s can be good or bad, but try telling the t5 I autocross with is pure garbage, or the one in my ranger I've beat the hell out of.

Your theory on opinions is like this, your carb preference is an opinion, and what I saw wasn't very intelligent on the subject matter. Ignorance is a lack of knowledge, btw, not stupidity. If you are ignorant on the topic, which sounds like you are, then cure it with study. I have had one car that was carbed, they end up needing rebuilt after a while and if you don't know how to tweak them they are a hassle. Your throttle response im betting was on a tweaked carb, factory spec efi vs carb the efi is going to win with much less excessive fuel use
Old 11-06-2011, 06:38 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

MAF and IAT
Old 11-06-2011, 06:54 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Sounds like your dad has some knowledge on the subject and good score with the stuff he brought back...

If the 93 motor he has has factory internals it is NOT forged.....
Old 11-06-2011, 01:39 PM
5.0 wannabe

Add thanks for the help. Resto no the motor isnt factory by any means. By the way Resto, love the car write up in your siganture.
P I would buy the tach in a heartbeat, but well want the factory tach that thing looks like a monster to hide. Trying to remain as inconspicuous as possible. Bad enough I am 15 and am in a mustang, let alone advertising, um, no thanks.
One other thing I am going to ask guys. I'm not sure whats in the air, but cant we all just relax a bit more with one and other? There is no need for such hostility.
Anways here is the history I have on the motor.......
Appears the t-bird was on the hoist dad was doing an oil change,had to sit the car on ground with pan under it to let oil finish draining, as he had to run get a few things. Mom not knowing, decided she needed to run to the store 3 miles down the road, drove there and back, with the t-bird. Dad comes home, see's the t-bird sitting in front of garage, not on the hoist. Walks in and asks her what the car was doing outside, she replied, making funny noises when you start it.
Car had 138k on it when he scrapped the body, though there is only like 30k on it total from the rebuild. Last time car ran, was in 07 according to dad, motor was pulled and placed on a stand, next to a 85 cougar he bought while in Georgia for 325, then drove to Michigan. I do know at one time there was a plan to place the motor in the cfi car, but he couldnt hack the car up. It rests in the back of the garage as well with 118k on the odometer. I really love that car.
Anyways I learned last night, there is a plan for head swap, cam, and of course neccessary swap items, plus shooting the underhood area black.
As stated I would have gone carbed route, and may have even talked my Dad into his boss 302 sitting in the corner. But then again its not my dime building this car, its his.. I am just along for whatever he chooses to do with the car. Call me a passenger with a wrench at this moment. So far to date, a fresh oil pan, oil pump, the wiring harness, and whatever he spent for head gasket set and the trans, is all there it into the car.
Plan is to befinished sometime in the spring, as there is no rush, and promises of me turning most of the wrenches.
Enough rambling I got to head for the shop and clean, so I can earn my exhaust. No work done today on car, other then dropping the oil pan and pulling the old pump. Trash bag covering motor once again.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:26 PM
5.0 wannabe

O.k got back from work, looked my harness over again, and have to lengthen my water temp sensor wire, its a little short running to the birds water line.
Strangely Photbucket is acting up so cant even upload pictures of current work. I did notice my headers have the studs busted off inside them. No biggie as I borrowed a set dad had laying around for one of his older projects. Also grabbed his oil pan, as mine had the knock sensor/oil pressure sender in the pan.
Have to either delete the egr or fix its tube, darn thing broke when I took the upper pan off.
So still to do, mount body harness drivers side (after my uncle paints it), mount heads, cam. Pick up an oil pressure sensor, then mount trans to motor, install. Oh and pick up motor mounts.
On a side note, I started the cougar and let it run. Dad smiled half heartedly and asked if I wanted to go for a drive, we ended up taking it to the end of the drive over to the neighbors and back. Man, I wish he would on that car. I was about 6 or 7 when he stopped driving it, some paint that thing would be a nice ride, oh well
Old 11-06-2011, 07:32 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

What year harness are you using again??

Its the low oil sensor...not a knock or pressure sensor... The oil pressure sending unit goes in the driver side of the block right behind the timing cover...
Old 11-06-2011, 07:51 PM
5.0 wannabe

Originally Posted by projectresto83
What year harness are you using again??

Its the low oil sensor...not a knock or pressure sensor... The oil pressure sending unit goes in the driver side of the block right behind the timing cover...
My main harness is from a 95. The donor motor is a 93 tbird, on the drivers side block sits a 3 wire plug halfway up the pan. removing its harness almost meet wire clippers, but the old man said, listen I am giving you parts to do your ride, and someday, I may need that harness for the 85. So after fighting a bit with the clip, I dropped my front accessories and finally got the clip off, and ditched the rest of the old harness removed.

Quick Reply: sn-95 3.8 to 5.0 swap