Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 11-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
tedsxb

Vehicle: 1991 Ford F150 302 5speed
Default Need advice for tuning my F150

Okay, so I realize an F150s a far cry from a mustang, but since not much is stock anymore and it shares part of the drivetrain with a mustang, I figured Id call on you guys for some help:

Ok so I bought a 91 F150 single cab long bed 4x4 302 5 speed. The previous owner redid the whole truck frame off and put a Ford Racing 302 longblock in it. The truck starts up and idles great but there are a few issues I have with the tuning. to start off, heres the list of mods:
-stock ford A3M1 computer, no chip
-5.0 truck Mass Air Conversion kit (has a black plug that goes in between the harness plug and computer)
-BBK intake and dual throttle bodies
-edelbrock intake plenum
-AFAIK, stock 19lb injectors
-MSD distributor and Blaster II coil
-shorty headers and custom 3" exhaust
-x303 cam

Thats all the mods to my knowledge. Now, it has a few issues that I believe are tuning related. First, If you are moving at any speed, if you let it roll in and gear with the clutch in, it idles at 1500 RPM until you come to a dead stop where it immediately falls back to idling normal. Second, it runs very rich at idle (It failed emissions at low idle 1400 ppm HC, allowable is 200). Finally, it seems to lose some power around 2k RPM and then picks back up at 3K. What I need to know is what I need to do to properly tune it, or find a place/person that will tune it right near me. I live in NJ so if one of you guys can tune my truck, I will pay you.

Thank you so much
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
tedsxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
im_stuck_in_iraq
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1994, Ford Mustang GT
derek94gt
Send a message via AIM to im_stuck_in_iraq Send a message via Yahoo to im_stuck_in_iraq

Picture?
94 GT 5.0 Shift kit, 3:73 Gears, BBK off road H Pipe, Flowmaster 2 chamber, BBK CAI, BBK Underdrive Pullies, Ac Delete, MSD TFI Performance Coil , 24# injectors, BBK fuel rail W/gauge, Granatelli lowers w/weight jacker, steeda adjustable uppers. ~Yet to purchase~: Detroit trutrac diff, strange 10 way adjustable shocks, moser 31 spline axles.

http://www.youtube.com/derek94gt

im_stuck_in_iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
tedsxb

Vehicle: 1991 Ford F150 302 5speed

Click the image to open in full size.
tedsxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Vehicle: 83 GLX, 93 LX, 98 sixer

You don't need a tune. You should be able to run a KOEO test like a stang but IDK where your test plug is to do so. Pull that cam out and sell it to someone who might actually need it.
What size MAF is in it?
What brand?
When is the last time you replaced the o2's?
Got any engine bay pics?
What is the timing set at?
projectresto83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
im_stuck_in_iraq
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1994, Ford Mustang GT
derek94gt
Send a message via AIM to im_stuck_in_iraq Send a message via Yahoo to im_stuck_in_iraq

i want
94 GT 5.0 Shift kit, 3:73 Gears, BBK off road H Pipe, Flowmaster 2 chamber, BBK CAI, BBK Underdrive Pullies, Ac Delete, MSD TFI Performance Coil , 24# injectors, BBK fuel rail W/gauge, Granatelli lowers w/weight jacker, steeda adjustable uppers. ~Yet to purchase~: Detroit trutrac diff, strange 10 way adjustable shocks, moser 31 spline axles.

http://www.youtube.com/derek94gt

im_stuck_in_iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #6
decipha
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 Ford Tbird SC

you can reprogram the ecu to cut some of the raw fuel at idle, this should reduce the hc, but i highly doubt you'll cut 1200 off of it, i would check the CATS
decipha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #7
AdderMk2
Banned

Vehicle: 94 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to AdderMk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by decipha View Post
you can reprogram the ecu to cut some of the raw fuel at idle, this should reduce the hc, but i highly doubt you'll cut 1200 off of it, i would check the CATS
decipha!!!!!!! dude, PM me your number, I lost it.
AdderMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:26 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
302, 4x4, 91, air, cam, ecu, f150, ford, mass, mustang, pipe, road, truck, tunes, tuning, x303