5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

AOD - fried, dead, fkd? or can it be helped?

Old 12-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Project 5.GO!
Oh, that's just mean! LOL

Seriously, don't buy a Honda, you can make this work! Take the AOD out, sell it and use whatever you can get for it towards a T-5 conversion, or a Tremec 3550 or TKO. Rebuilding a T-5 is easy as pie, as long as you get one that wasn't horribly abused, it will cost about $250 in parts, and a $19 how-to video from Hanlon Motorsports. Took me about 4 hours.

Might want to look into the manual route. The car will have more wheel HP, and banging gears makes driving much more fun, unless you are creeping in a traffic jam on the interstate, while trying to eat some McDonalds and chat on the cell.
cool, I already do have 2x 5.0 with t5 (one I spend a few years building the engine only to have the machinist **** up the valvetrain, so it sits) and to the prev. poster, I DID spend a lot of money on this, a LENTECH vb AOD... but assy by broaderperformance, he dynos each unit, however wtf my goblin mustang curse is getting me pretty tired after all.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

i got a blasted back, slipped disc in my neck and degraded lower back, and my right leg is ****ed up, cant bend it properly, thats why It took me so many years to get a mustang going again, you see it has to have my personal touch but that has gotten really difficult. and the fact that I have never succeeded is making me so tired, so yeah i NEED AN AUTOMATIC to daily drive, theres no way out of it... but i have to go back to the only car out of my 6 cars that works an 85 GT... but really?? its windshield is cracked 85% across, it stinks like gas, the clutch is not even really there... and I have to fill up the fr tire every 2 days....and the moonroof leaks in the rain, thats why I got my 91 going during raining seacon, it was perfect! i had put in every penny i had and all my time for months and I MET MY GOAL IT WAS ALL PAID FOR AND DONE ****. i really needed that car to work for me
Old 12-19-2011, 01:31 AM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Ok, if you have 6 cars, it seems to me that the best way to get a daily driver dependable Mustang is sell all the rest of your projects, and put the money into the one. Find a tranny builder that will guarantee their work (if they agree to a guarantee, it means that they will do it right) and you will end up with a pristine daily driver beast. If you have more than one project car, bad stuff happens involving your wallet, exponentially applied in proportion to the number of projects.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:55 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

I would be questioning the person building your transmission then.