5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car wont start and i have an interview in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:48 PM
skimja

Default Car wont start and i have an interview in the morning

Hey guys, this is my first post here. I have a '57 Fairlane with a 302 out of a '85 mustang. I went down the road to get something to eat today, when I came back out I tried to start my car, the starter was cranking but nothing was happening soo I back off the ignition to try again (common thing with my car). When I backed off there was whining, Like the starter got a boost of power and cranked real hard real fast. Then smoke poured out the hood. Now if I try to start the solenoid clicks once, and the starter does not kick in at all.

So my question is WTF? I have heard of starter connectors smoking while under pressure, but why and what was the whining when i let off the ignition? Car is sitting in a parking lot, should I go buy a starter and install it?
I need to get this fix ASAP, so I can get to a job interview in the morning. thanks

-John
Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by skimja
Hey guys, this is my first post here. I have a '57 Fairlane with a 302 out of a '85 mustang. I went down the road to get something to eat today, when I came back out I tried to start my car, the starter was cranking but nothing was happening soo I back off the ignition to try again (common thing with my car). When I backed off there was whining, Like the starter got a boost of power and cranked real hard real fast. Then smoke poured out the hood. Now if I try to start the solenoid clicks once, and the starter does not kick in at all.

So my question is WTF? I have heard of starter connectors smoking while under pressure, but why and what was the whining when i let off the ignition? Car is sitting in a parking lot, should I go buy a starter and install it?
I need to get this fix ASAP, so I can get to a job interview in the morning. thanks

-John
Gotta admit, your terminology is a bit hard to parse. Sounds to me like you need a new distributor, a new starter, and some new ground cables.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:51 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I agree with matt, you should also look into buying a reliable car as your DD...
Old 01-18-2012, 08:24 PM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

That high pitch winning could have been the starter spinning without engaging onto the flywheel. This happens when the ratchet mechanism in your starter doesn't push the gear out of the starter housing and onto the flywheel. I would recommend replacing the starter if this is a common occurance. Is your car a stick shift? If so, get it up on an incline, turn the ignition key to on, let it roll and then pop the clutch. Hopefully it starts you up and gets you to the job interview.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:27 PM
skimja

Oh its reliable...ish, turned out it was the starter. I replaced it and it started right up. however I dont understand what happen. Let me try to explain it better.

I went to start my car and the starter was turning the flywheel and doing what it does, but I was not getting a spark. So I let off the key but even though I let off the key, it was like the starter was still getting power, more power than 2 seconds earlier. and then it stopped and there was smoke.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:44 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Are you positive about the no-spark condition? That isn't related to starters at all, and will likely leave you stranded again.

The starter sticking in the engaged position is either the starter itself, or the solenoid is sticking and keeping power engaged. Easily tested, but will sound nearly the same to the ear.

You mentioned "backing off the ignition". Are you saying you have to mess with distributor timing to get it to start? That leads back to your no-spark comment. If your timing was severely off, the engine would/could act as if it had no spark, simply because the firing isn't in time with compression strokes.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:59 PM
skimja

My bad I didnt actually mean no spark, I just meant the engine was not starting. the starter was just cranking and cranking. I must have just been the starter Because I replaced that and all is good.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:02 PM
skimja

and when I say i backed off all I am saying is I let off turning the key, to kill the power to the solenoid