5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Clutch/Tranny help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Audio Mayhem

Default Clutch/Tranny help

So my throw out bearing has been whistling, so I set out to change it today. What a pain that is/was. the bolts for the drive line to diff yoke were so tight we ended up using a 3/4 breaker bar and 3/4 impact gun. for the most part everything went ok. went over to the grandfathers and turned the fly wheel. installed new clutch and installed the bell housing.
That is my stopping point for tonight.

Question 1: Installed the new throw out bearing on fork and installed the cable. It is very loose. before removing the old one it was tight putting pressure on the pressure plate. What happened? got a good 2" of slack in the cable.

Question 2: What fluid and how much you recommend? might as well change it while I'm there.

Ill be finishing it up tomorrow.
1990 5.0 5 speed

Thanks
Old 01-30-2012, 10:00 PM
hondhunter
2nd Gear Member

if u have the stock quadrant pull up on the clutch pedal and it'll adjust. but if u have after market quadrant, then its time to buy an adjustable cable.

just put in mercon..
Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

probably installed the TOB wrong, and the T5 takes 5.6pints of Mercon
Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Audio Mayhem

Originally Posted by hondhunter
if u have the stock quadrant pull up on the clutch pedal and it'll adjust. but if u have after market quadrant, then its time to buy an adjustable cable.

just put in mercon..
I bet your right on the clutch petal and pulling it up. Did not think of that. Its been a long day.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Audio Mayhem

Got it all back together and now it is like the clutch don't disengage. looking in the clutch fork hole it looks as if the throw out bearing is not set on the clutch for right. like it fell off the black retaining springs. I know we had it set right before we set the trans in.

It will not work right if the throw out bearing is installed wrong? Right?

So today I get to take it all back apart, yay!

The reason for the slack in the cable was it fell off the quadrant at the pedal. There is the aftermarket one installed.

Last edited by Audio Mayhem; 02-01-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Audio Mayhem

I fixed it. one of the black retaining clips was bent and the bearing slipped out.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Audio Mayhem

Another problem.

Shifts fine 1st-5th, grinds into reverse. Im thinking synchro. Any other ideas?

Also i have a huge exhaust leak now at the stock header on the driver side. the flange is busted up pretty bad and cant get it to seal. so I'm gonna have the exhaust redone. If i remove the cats will it affect my cpu bad. No emission testing here. Do I need to have the 02 sensors put back in the exhaust?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Adjust clutch and see if reverse grind goes away. Buy a aftermarket cat delete, ecu will not flip out. Yes, keep 02 sensors connected.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Audio Mayhem

how much pressure can i put on the pressure plate for driving? As of right now and have it to where I have to put a clamp on the fork to get the cable on.

Not gonna buy a cat delete, the local guy in my town will let me use his lift and bender sometimes. Just have to make sure I show up with a case of beer...
Old 02-03-2012, 06:44 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

the clutch cable shouldnt be putting ANY pressure against the fork while the pedal is released. That is a sure fire way to wipe out your thrust bearings.

Quick Reply: Clutch/Tranny help