5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help with power steering pulley puller (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:54 PM
pcm2a

Default Help with power steering pulley puller (with pictures)

I rented the pulley puller from Advanced Auto, looked simple enough to take off the pulley on my 1992 5.0 LX.

First I assembled this thing:

Next I screwed that thing down into the pulley and screwed the center thing down till it was tight against the pulley:

Next I put the two flange things and the sleeve on, I put them on how the picture shows, could they be upside down? It doesn't seem very tight, you can see the gap in the pictures.

Finally I got my big wrench on the center bolt and another wrench on the end. I keep the big wrech still and I turn the end clockwise. What ends up happening is the center part just screws up the bolt, which is clearly not what is supposed to happen. Also, when I turn the end clockwise the pulley turns too, I assume that the pulley should not be turning.

Last edited by pcm2a; 02-11-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:43 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Take the threaded rod out of the pump... That is for installation.

Try reading the instructions.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:56 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I was suprised to notice one day that one of the shops that did work on my car made a simple notch in the pulleys spoke so that they could get access to the bolt behind it. If I knew what shop did it I would thank them today.......
Old 02-11-2012, 04:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by ttocs
I was suprised to notice one day that one of the shops that did work on my car made a simple notch in the pulleys spoke so that they could get access to the bolt behind it. If I knew what shop did it I would thank them today.......
how would that help?? the pulley is pressed on not screwed on.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

Somebody did thso same thing to mine. It's so u can remove the pump without removing the pulley. But pcm2a has a solid pulley so notching may be difficult.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:11 PM
pcm2a

I was missing the non-threaded piece! I took the thing back to advance auto and they not only got the pin used to take it off but they went ahead and swapped the pump for me. The new pump is in and while it is making a little noise (normal during break in) it is a billion times better!

How much fluid should it take and over how long of a period of time will it take to put that much in?
- Before removing I ran the pump with the hoses off to squirt all the fluid out
- Let the lines drain overnight
- Put the new pump in and it took in 1/3 of a quart.

I have turned the wheels side to side a bunch, drove around the block a few times. It is still at the full level.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:50 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you had all the right pieces in the first place. I can see them in the pictures you took.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:22 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
how would that help?? the pulley is pressed on not screwed on.
Because I now have access to the bolts that is behind the pulley that requires the pulley be removed in order to take the bolts out. Not I can stick my rachet(with extension) right through the pulley, remove the bolt and take it off with the pulley still on it. It saves the time of pulling AND reinstalling the pulley, how much is that worth to you?

I will try and take a pic of it a little later as its something I would think more will want to consider.

Last edited by ttocs; 02-13-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

pictures are worth some werds er something...

here is one of the bolts you need to remove, there are two but they are both accessable with the new enlarged hole.
Attached Thumbnails Help with power steering pulley puller (with pictures)-0213121025.jpg  
Old 02-13-2012, 10:44 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

here is the hole they enlarged to get access to both bolts. Yes it could have been cleaner but also could have been on there for years before I happen to notice it.
Attached Thumbnails Help with power steering pulley puller (with pictures)-0213121025a.jpg  

Quick Reply: Help with power steering pulley puller (with pictures)