5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Lower Rad Hose Popped Off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:48 AM
CLUE

Angry Lower Rad Hose Popped Off?

This was just an annoyance more than anything, but atleast it happened when I got home and conveniently over a drain! It was right after I shut off my car (91 GT 5.0), I saw some steam from the coolant and immediately thought it was the new water pump I put in about a month ago, I threw a drain pan under it, popped the hood and saw that the lower hose had just popped off the water pump! I just pushed the hose back on, hosed the coolant away and went to watch the game after my neighbour walked by in disguist. Is this fairly common, when the engine shuts off, does it apply a bit more pressure? I'm pretty sure it was just the clamp wasnt doing a good job anymore, but I've been driving it for a few weeks since changing anything. I'll just inspect the hose and buy a worm clamp & coolant tomorrow morning. Perfect timing too, soooo broke and in a hurry, got an interview fairly early in the morning! Seems to be running good otherwise, hopefully the hose will stay on after! I'll buy a new set of clamps/hoses as soon as I can and keep them and some coolant on hand from now on! I have a new rad cap, I'll throw that on as well. Sound familiar anyone? Nothing ever seems to be that easy... I'm a bit paranoid, because I'm too short on cash (recently laid off) for this crap to happen right now and insurance is making me renew 3 months minimum in a few days, so I'm going to be pretty low on cash for a bit!!!

Last edited by CLUE; 03-20-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:53 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

when car shuts off, coolant doesn't circulate so a rise in temp occurs, as a liquid is heated it expands/ will build up somemore pressure when car is shut off, replace clamp and refill and bleed system and be done with it
Old 03-20-2012, 11:00 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Replace far cap too..
Old 03-20-2012, 02:51 PM
CLUE

Thanks, yeah, I just went to Canadian Tire and bought a clamp and some coolant, but they were out of distilled water.... figures!!!!! I'll just skytrain and bus it to my interview, not a big deal, I'll have to hit another Canadian Tire for some distilled water though on the way back. Thanks, I figured it was probably just a spike in pressure and the old clamp at fault, thanks for that detailed answer, I was curious. AdderMk, I'll replace the rad cap, what is "far cap", I'm not following on that? I'll replace all the hoses one of these weekends and just re-use the coolant, when I don't have 1,000,000 other bills. Thanks for replies!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:53 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by CLUE
Thanks, yeah, I just went to Canadian Tire and bought a clamp and some coolant, but they were out of distilled water.... figures!!!!! I'll just skytrain and bus it to my interview, not a big deal, I'll have to hit another Canadian Tire for some distilled water though on the way back. Thanks, I figured it was probably just a spike in pressure and the old clamp at fault, thanks for that detailed answer, I was curious. AdderMk, I'll replace the rad cap, what is "far cap", I'm not following on that? I'll replace all the hoses one of these weekends and just re-use the coolant, when I don't have 1,000,000 other bills. Thanks for replies!
a far cap is my phone being a ****ing douchebag and auto-correcting every word I type...

I meant rad cap.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:28 PM
CLUE

heh, I was 99% sure that was infact a typing error of some sort, but thanks, I put the new cap on. I'm not sure why I was givin a 15lb one, do they have different compatibility chart than I am seeing or something? Just went to stant.com, typed in my make/year and it specifically says 16lb, took 5 seconds! I then type the part #10231 in and a 16lb cap comes up, but it says 15lb on the cap that I have, did they put the wrong one in the box? I don't think it's a huge deal, I guess it'll do for now, I have no idea where that receipt is now, I'll put it back in the box next time I'm at Canadian Tire and ask them about it I guess. I'm going out to refill and bleed it now and see if that sucker stays on. I remember the original clamp was giving me grief last time, I'll keep it on in front of the new worm clamp for double clamping power!!!!!! I'm glad it didn't do this in front of a parking meter or cruising around, my heart missed a beat or two when i saw the coolant puddle at first...

Last edited by CLUE; 03-20-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

A day doesn't pass when I don't want to power-spike my phone into the pavement and run it over repeatedly. They should give you the option to turn that auto-correct **** off.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:11 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Project 5.GO!
A day doesn't pass when I don't want to power-spike my phone into the pavement and run it over repeatedly. They should give you the option to turn that auto-correct **** off.
i can shut it off... but then the spelling in my texts would be even worse!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:48 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Originally Posted by CLUE
heh, I was 99% sure that was infact a typing error of some sort, but thanks, I put the new cap on. I'm not sure why I was givin a 15lb one, do they have different compatibility chart than I am seeing or something? Just went to stant.com, typed in my make/year and it specifically says 16lb, took 5 seconds! I then type the part #10231 in and a 16lb cap comes up, but it says 15lb on the cap that I have, did they put the wrong one in the box? I don't think it's a huge deal, I guess it'll do for now, I have no idea where that receipt is now, I'll put it back in the box next time I'm at Canadian Tire and ask them about it I guess. I'm going out to refill and bleed it now and see if that sucker stays on. I remember the original clamp was giving me grief last time, I'll keep it on in front of the new worm clamp for double clamping power!!!!!! I'm glad it didn't do this in front of a parking meter or cruising around, my heart missed a beat or two when i saw the coolant puddle at first...
a lesser pound cap will put less pressure on gaskets, hoses, heater core, etc.... sorta a good thing
Old 03-20-2012, 11:27 PM
CLUE

Yeah thanks, I thought it'd be alright to use, atleast until I get new hoses it's probably better. I started scratching my head a bit when I looked up the part # and it didn't match what it said on the actual part though.

http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/10...eligion-fails/ - for you Adder

Last edited by CLUE; 03-21-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Lower Rad Hose Popped Off?