5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

88 Mustang GT 5.0 Randomly Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Jayson95GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vazura
Well the only thing I notice is some times when it idles, the battery is in the middle and mostly borderline red. But I assume since it has no computer that the alternator only works as fast as the engine so it sits low.

I drove it yesterday for about 40 miles and it didn't do it, I also drove to work today and it hasnt yet.
Well that does sound like a charging system issue if the needle is getting in the red. You need to see what the alternator charging voltage is when the needle is in the red. Should be in the high 13 to low 14 volt range. If it is low, I would suggest an alternator problem since the battery has been replaced.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Vazura

Alright ill go have it checked out today or tommarow, thanks for the help and I will give you guys an update
Old 03-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Vazura

I had my alternator checked and it was good. So it isn't that or my battery.

And I have drove it for the past 5 days a good 3-6 hours a day and have not had the problem ( knock on wood )

So any inputs? Should I still have the Fuel pump and fuel filter checked/replaced?
Old 07-31-2012, 01:32 AM
1995bmgt

Originally Posted by Vazura
Hello, I have a 1988 Mustang GT 5.0 Convertible. When I first got the car it ran great, for 3 weeks no problem. Then I took it to Walmart to get oil change and a fuel injection cleaning. Then it ran fine. About 3-4 days later when i was pulling into my drive when I engaged the clutch it sputtered and died. I sat there for a second and tried starting it and it started fine.

The next day I drove it for 3-4 hours and came home, I let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and when i put it in reverse and started to give it gas it chugged and died in the street. I tried to start it but it would turn over start for a second and die again. Repeatedly.

By now im frustrated, So I thought maybe my battery was dead because my lights where on ( no clue why ). So my gf jumped it and it wouldnt start. So we let it sit charging for about 5-10 minutes, went and it started fine and i parked it. I drove it around the block, turned it off, It didn't start.

So We went out to eat in her car and when we came back I tried turning it on and it started fine. Drove it and worked fine, came home, parked it.

By now I just thought maybe it was running hot and my battery was bad, and that the battery was to weak to start it hot. Also My coolant was low and dirty so i put some in maybe that would help a bit. Well anyways We drove it all day for 6-8 hours, stopping and turning it off, fine. I got my battery tested, it was bad so I bought a stronger one and continued my day. Then at night on my way home I was stopping at a stop sign and it stalled again. Tried to start it same thing, so we sat and waited for 5-10 minutes. Started up fine and drove home. Later that night, We drove to get food, worked fine. Now today im at work and I drove her car, I dare not drive it through city incase I stalled and i lost power steering and brakes.

I've looked online and its ether this.

TFI module
Fuel pump/Fuel filter
Bad Ground
Timing

Any inputs would be greatly Appreciated

Thanks to all
I had this same problem twice in my 95GT it was the PIP(Profile Ignition Pickup)Sensor which is Fords name for the crank sensor,the common name is the pickup coil which is inside the distributer. Replace it or replace the distributer.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 PM
ptown87
1st Gear Member

Not sure if you have fixed it yet but my 88gt was acting up similar to yours. It was very inconsistent and baffled me. It turned out to be the distributor module. It is the grey thing attached the side of the distributor that the pig tail plugs into. Before buying a new one take it off and apply new dialectic grease to it. If that doesn't fix it you could always pick one up at autozone for around 40 buck and try it. If i doesn't fix it just bring it back.

I don't think it is a problem with your charging system or a bad ground as these would cause more consistent problems not just every now and then.

Good luck...this type of stuff can drive you insane.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Vazura

Yes it stopped doing it months ago, still drive it DD and is fine.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:14 PM
89fiveeight
2nd Gear Member

Is it a 5-speed? I had a similar problem in my 89 GT and again in my 93 Ranger. Does it die when you are releasing the clutch after starting it, or after a pothole/speedbump? Mine turned out to be the starter safety switch on my clutch pedal was shorting out. A shot in the dark, but its an idea.