5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP 1991 5.0 wont start after filling up at gas station

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:42 AM
BayArea5one0

Excuse my ignorance MATTDEL, but what is the "pickup" and where can I locate it? I believe the "module" is right in front of the dist, correct? I'll definitely be looking into these before the computer itself as I have also read that is very rare that the computer itself goes bad.
Much appreciation for everyone's input.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:08 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

The Pickup is a little magnetic "cam sensor", basically. It's inside the distributor, under the rotor. If this doesn't work, you get no injector pulse.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 PM
BayArea5one0

Originally Posted by mattdel
The Pickup is a little magnetic "cam sensor", basically. It's inside the distributor, under the rotor. If this doesn't work, you get no injector pulse.
Thnx, going to try and check it out tonight if I get home in time. Whenever it is that I find a resolution to my problem, I will post it for others.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:02 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

my bet is on the TFI too youll also need the little TFI screw tool from the tools section as well...take your old one off and get it tested before you buy a new one...
Old 05-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Ryan Svetz

Forgot about that little tool... Had to make a second run to O'Reilly's for that. Definitely pick that guy up. I keep it in the glove box with my lug key now just in case. Never know...
Old 05-07-2012, 05:36 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

You are going to have a time with the pick-up if you have never done one before. It can be a pain just to get the gear to go back on straight. Definatly check the module first.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:17 PM
newpony
2nd Gear Member

dont know if anyone said , try the fuel filter(and pump the gas a bit while trying to start it.) are you sure no one tamperd with your car while you were paying??
Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 PM
BayArea5one0

ok...so I was following this link posted on the previous page - http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...checklist.html
and was following specifically "5.) Fuel pressure OK, the injectors are not firing." since that is my symptom...I tested the voltage at the injectors and they are in fact getting the correct voltage, but it doesnt say what to check next.

So should I now be looking at "pickup" or "module" at this point?

And to answer NEWPONY, yes the fuel filter was also replaced and no, nobody tampered with my car. I used my card at the pump, never left sight of the car.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I want you to test to make sure your buddy is right. Any mechanic would have known to check for fuel pressure before making you spend money on a pump.

Take something like a metal ended screwdriver and listen to the injectors while the engine is cranking to see if they are clicking. I am not trying to be a dick saying your buddy doesn't know what he is talking about but, you could be chasing a problem that you don't have.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 05-08-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:54 PM
BayArea5one0

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
I want you to test to make sure your buddy is right. Any mechanic would have known to check for fuel pressure before making you spend money on a pump.

Take something like a metal ended screwdriver and listen to the injectors while the engine is cranking to see if they are clicking. I am not trying to be a dick saying your buddy doesn't know what he is talking about but, you could be chasing a problem that you don't have.
Don't worry, no offense taken. He thought it was the fuel pump (which really did go out last year, the one I just got was free, under warr) because when turning the key to the position before staring the engine, the pump would turn on and stay on. He thought the pump should turn off shortly after.
I wasnt there when he was looking at it for me, but he told me there was fuel making it to the rails. I don't know for certain that he actually confirmed this though. He's actually just a friend of a family member. I am no mechanic, but I'm very hands on with just about anything and do most simple repairs and maint on my vehicles - jack of all trades so to speak.
I truly appreciate your and everyone else's suggestions and expertise. I will check for fuel pressure like you stated, makes perfect sense.

Quick Reply: HELP 1991 5.0 wont start after filling up at gas station