5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1989 mustang Invincible electrical issue help please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:06 AM
TheShyzah

Default 1989 mustang Invincible electrical issue help please!

So Ive been having this really frustrating electrical issues with my 89 fox. On cold starts it would start right up on th first crank and then die, then on the second one it would start. Changed plugs and wires and it running super lean like its not getting any fuel, plugs are super white. At idle it lopes really bad like its cammed but it's just stock, but at around 2500-3k rpms the car really shakes bad especially though the shifter. For a while I thought it may be bad fuel injectors but I've had the car for a little bit more than a year so I thought if it was injectors it would get worse over time right? So I did the justice brothers injection cleaning service and still no change. My o2 sensors were just hanging not plugged in so I thought maybe that was the issue maybe the computer was reading things wrong but once I replaced o2 sensors and harness my car has been acting up even worse. Now when it starts up the rpms shoot up to 2500 rpms with my foot completely off the pedal and then if I rev it really hard it will go back down
, then when you put the clutch in the rpms start going haywire bouncing all over the place back up to 2500 rpms and then if I was driving it would be accelerating without my foot on the gas and surged pretty bad. My mechanic tried get some codes from the computer but the computer won't send any info to the scanner it says it can't connect. So my mechanic said my computer might be fried so I got a reman. Ecu and when he plugged the scanner in with ONLY the ignition on not the motor it started giving codes but my mechanic turned the motor on and it went back to no communication. So he took both computers apart and neither looked to be burnt or fried. I then replaced clutch switch and iac motor and still doing the same things. I've had clutch replaced, plugs, wires, o2 sensors, iac motor, clutch switch, ecu, cold air intake, radiator, drive shaft balanced and whole rear end checked an maintained, brakes done. I've been throwing so much money into this car just to get it to run healthy. My mechanic said he is stumped and he has never not been able to figure anything and he's been a mechanic for 30 plus years ex master mechanic at ford and airplane mechanic and works on race cars and he's lost. He's examined every wiring diagram and wiring possibility and NOTHING. Please help this is extremely frustrating i havent had my car for almost a month and i love my 89 california edition mustang but I'm runnin out of money any input would be great thankyou!