5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Converting to manual steering?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:46 AM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

Default Converting to manual steering?

Well once i got the tires in for my 3.5" welds i am going to take the power steering off (the pump is shot anyway). Will i HAVE to convert to manual steering rack? If so, why? Also if i do buy a manual steering rack will it drop right in, or what else would i need? Thanks in advance for the help...
Old 09-14-2009, 11:55 AM
93_five_oh
2nd Gear Member

i put a flaming river manual rack in a few weeks ago.
it's pretty simple. i don't know why you'd want to keep the power steering rack without the pump. from what i know a power rack without the pump is horrible to drive.
it does take some getting used to when you put in a manual rack, but i love it now.

if you do get a manual rack, you'll need either and adapter for the steering shaft or to buy a new solid steering shaft. i chose option two. huge difference without the rag joint.
you will have to measure and cut the shaft though (the instructions don't mention that), other than that it bolts right in. get the steering wheel centered on the rack (same amount of turns lock to lock) that's not the easiest thing either. align it yourself as best as possible and voi la. drive it to the local alignment shop.
i manged to do it by myself in a day... so not too difficult.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:22 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 93_five_oh
i put a flaming river manual rack in a few weeks ago.
it's pretty simple. i don't know why you'd want to keep the power steering rack without the pump. from what i know a power rack without the pump is horrible to drive.
it does take some getting used to when you put in a manual rack, but i love it now.

if you do get a manual rack, you'll need either and adapter for the steering shaft or to buy a new solid steering shaft. i chose option two. huge difference without the rag joint.
you will have to measure and cut the shaft though (the instructions don't mention that), other than that it bolts right in. get the steering wheel centered on the rack (same amount of turns lock to lock) that's not the easiest thing either. align it yourself as best as possible and voi la. drive it to the local alignment shop.
i manged to do it by myself in a day... so not too difficult.

Cool, i was also looking at a flaming river rack. Where did you get the steering shaft? Link?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:50 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AntiRiceRacing
Cool, i was also looking at a flaming river rack. Where did you get the steering shaft? Link?

you can usually buy a full kit that has everything. check summit, i got mine off of ebay way back when
Old 09-14-2009, 07:01 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I bought the full kit for my car.

the advantage to buying the steering shaft too, if that it eliminates the rubber "rag joint" which will make your steering feel mushy if it is left in place
Old 09-14-2009, 07:44 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i bought a flaming river rack off ebay about 155$ and then the rag joint adapter about 70ish

i still need to install it
Old 09-16-2009, 09:15 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I did that conversion several years ago to my car.
Used Flaming River's complete kit. I did not have to cut anything.
I did the whole thing in one afternoon and I had never done one before.
No specail tools or anything needed.
Saves maybe 30# off the front end..........
Old 09-17-2009, 02:00 PM
93_five_oh
2nd Gear Member

i bought my kit from jegs...
don't have a link, but it's really not hard to find. lol
Old 05-20-2012, 12:59 PM
mustangsnake93

Working on my 93 as we speak..... got new tie rod ends witch are 3/4" shorter than the old ones and when i find center on both racks and pull a measure i end up with 1 1/8" treads to screw on to on the drivers side and only 1/2" on the passengers side???? whats up with that
Old 05-21-2012, 04:50 AM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

Valuable thoughts and advices. I read your topic with great interest.

Quick Reply: Converting to manual steering?