5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

First mustang help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:52 PM
5.8 cobra

My 79 has an F in the vin, which I believ stands for having a 5.0. But it also has a turbocharged emblem on the dash above the glove box. Did they offer a turbocharged 5.0 in 79? Or is this another aftermarket buy like the 5,8 emblems on the fenders?
Old 06-03-2012, 10:55 PM
5.8 cobra

I goggled for a answer on the difference between the base model and the giah. The base is a 5.0 and the giah is a 4 cylinder so the search found. Is that right?
Old 06-03-2012, 10:59 PM
5.8 cobra

Question

If the vin number won't tell me if I have a cobra, will the build tag under the hood tell me?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:00 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

My suspicion is you have the 4cyl turbo body with a swapped driveline.

Cobra is not a separate model in the foxbody generation. It's simply a badge and some trim features. The only true foxbody cobra released was in 1993.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.8 cobra
My 79 has an F in the vin, which I believ stands for having a 5.0. But it also has a turbocharged emblem on the dash above the glove box. Did they offer a turbocharged 5.0 in 79? Or is this another aftermarket buy like the 5,8 emblems on the fenders?
No, there was no turbo 5.0 in '79.

If the "F" in your VIN is right before the string of numbers at the end, it would indicate a 5.0 normally aspirated engine originally.

It's pretty clear from what you've said this car has been done over extensively, so the badging etc is likely aftermarket.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:16 PM
5.8 cobra

What about the tag under the hood? will one of those numbers or letters tell me if it's a cobra?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:20 PM
5.8 cobra

But what about the F in the VIN? that stands for a 5.0 right? So how could it be a 4 cyl. body?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:03 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

What about the tag under the hood? will one of those numbers or letters tell me if it's a cobra?
Not 100% sure which tag you're referring to, but has been already stated, the '79 "Cobra" was not really a separate model like later Cobras, it was just mainly an appearence option package.

"The 1979 Cobra Mustang options package was originally $1179 and included the 2.3 liter, turbo-charged, four cylinder; hood scoop; forged metric aluminum wheels with three main wide slotted spokes(replaced with 1993+ wheels on this car); blacked out window trim, body side and bumper trim, and lower body; sport mirrors, color keyed rear quarter window louver panels; tachometer and instrument cluster panel; and sport tuned exhaust with bright tailpipe tips. The hood graphics was an additional $78"

Just go by that, and you should be able to figure out if the car originally had the package. Are the trim around the windows, and the lower body and bumper areas black? Are the louvers near the rear window the same color as the car body? etc

With a car this old, you often have to do some detective work. You could also try hooking up your local MCA chapter, and see if they have someone experienced in the early Fox Mustangs that could look the car over and give you an opinion.

But what about the F in the VIN? that stands for a 5.0 right? So how could it be a 4 cyl. body?
There are two place in the VIN where there could be an "F".

If it's the second character,it just indicates the car being built at the Dearborn plant, If it's the fifth character, then yes, that indicates it's originally a 5.0 car.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 06-04-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:55 PM
5.8 cobra

Well guys after hours of web searching on many different sites, I now know what I have. The f in my vin was in the wrong place to ID the engine, My F was the second in line, which was the assembly plany,Dearborn. the 03 in my vin is for hatch back, I found out that the 03 was used on the plain hatch as well as the cobra hatch. The W stands for 2.3 turbocharged 4cyl. The cobra package gave you stronger sway bars and better shocks. In 79 the cobra model offered the 2.3 turboat 132 H.P and the 5.0 at 140 H.P. Now this is interesting, the basic hatch had a wheel base of 179.1 inches, while the cobra came in at 100.3 inches from axle to axle. The Ghia sub modle was a luxury package that offered low back buckets with head rests, wood grain dash, a different steering wheel, sun roof, etc. So know I am almost positive what I have, there still remains a doubt about it being a cobra all be it a small one. But since the 03 in my vin was used on the base hatch as well as the cobra, even though all my badges and embems, and rear window louvers, proper hood scoop, And the other cobra goodys, I'll never know for sure if their real or cloned. Thanks for all your help and advise, it helped me alot.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:38 AM
5.8 cobra

Question tail light sockets

I'm trying to buy some tail light sockets on line, but they don't look anything like mine. Did the design change on the one's offered now? I looked on several sites and they all showed the same type of socket. I'm sure you guys know what the factory ones look like, and that the first in line has 6 wires, 3 in and 3 jumpers out to the next socket. The ones on line only have 3 wires, and alot of the metal socket is sticking up out of the assembly. Is this the way they are now? Are they ok to use or should I try to find some NOS ones?

Quick Reply: First mustang help