5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Welp, back to the drawing board.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 12:41 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Default Welp, back to the drawing board.

Ok. As you guys know, my car has had some recent issues lately. I thought I fixed some but, not really. The car is a 1988 manual GT with MSD dizzy, race ported GT40p heads with full MAC exhaust, deleted smog pump and associated lines, and a CAI. Not much really done.

First, the car idles nice and steady but sometimes it idles up to 1400rpms and stays there and other times it'll be right around 700-800. What is this about? I already changed my TPS. IAC next? I've already cleaned it so I guess replacing is next.

Next. The car is missing pretty badly while cruising. If I punch it, it goes with a quickness. Oh boy does it go. But while cruising I can feel the slight miss and it's annoying the hell out of me. I also can't accelerate in 5th at anywhere below 2k rpms without it jerking and bucking. Already did new cap, rotor, spark plugs, and some fairly new ford racing wires. I did notice some slight corrosion in my MSD distributor though. This didn't seem to matter before the head swap though.

And lastly, the car smokes near the cats towards the back of the tranny. Something is hitting the tranmssion and causing smoke but I can't figure it out. I've changed the output shaft seal and I blasted the whole underside of the car clean. I don't see any dripping or anything under there but there's still smoke coming from that general area. Is there another seal that I'm missing? It isn't the rear main. I'm not losing a drop of oil but I am losing tranny oil.

:UPDATE!!!::

Ok.Tranny is back in the car and the EGR has been replaced along with new plugs and wires. Cap and rotor will get done tomorrow. Car still has a miss while cruising and is also still running rich. Also, I have done the output shaft seal three god damn times. It still squirts tranny fluid out of it when I get on it. I even siliconed the whole mating area where the seal goes. Still leaks. The boot is soaked but I can't find where the leak is. Only signs are splatter on the cats along with smoke and splatter on the underside of the car parallel to the cats and output shaft seal. Any ideas guys? Still no codes. D:

Last edited by Dj_Seph; 07-13-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

And just went to drive my car around and the oil pressure gauge is reading extremely low and at times it hit zero yet the car ran. Guessing the damn sensor is going.-_-
Old 06-23-2012, 07:29 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you say fairly new wires.....try a known good set/new
Old 06-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Already ordered. Though I wish I could find a 60 buck straight set.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:40 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

The cruising/missing thing could be related to EGR.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:36 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

What about the EGR could be going wrong?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:06 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Position sensor out of spec due to carbon buildup underneath it's pintle. Going WOT removes the problem because the EGR is commanded shut in WOT scenarios, regardless of RPM.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:38 PM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

EGR is a possibility. Also check the coolant temp sensor and and the MAT sensor. The coolant sensor for the computer is separate from the one that reads the temp for the gauge.

The computer commands a higher idle when the coolant temp is low. You can check both temperature sensors with a digital multimeter, measuring impedance (ohms).
Old 06-25-2012, 01:54 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Both coolant temperature sensors are brand new. Guessing EGR would be the next thing.

And while I thought the car was moving fine, I went to the drag strip and was proven wrong. Stock with full smog equipment and no mods whatsoever, it ran a 14.8. After all the mods listed above, I couldn't break 15.8. -_-

Something is eriously wrong.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

UPDATE!

Car is no longer even really driveable. Aside from the input shaft seal and rear main leaking, the car is just extremely sluggish. Last night it reached a new low and I've decided to garage it. It was backfiring whenever I'd shift from 1-2, and 2-3. Also, it's letting out a little bit of smoke. Running pig rich from what I could see. What could be doing this?!

Quick Reply: Welp, back to the drawing board.