5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Newb with a new (to me) 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Stefanwlsn

Default Newb with a new (to me) 5.0

So my father-in-law gave me an 82 5.0 (not sure if it is the GT or GLX). It needs a starter, but runs and drives. It sat for about a year without being started, so it is going to need some TLC before I replace the starter and start it again.
Once that is done, I would like to do a mild rebuild. I'm not looking to make 400+ hp, maybe just between 250 and 300 hp to make for a fun, yet still rather dependable, engine. What mods would you guys do with a vehicle like this to get the hp into the range I am talking about? Obviously, 4bbl carb and matching intake are a must, but what else? Valve job? Cam? You guys know more about these cars/engines than I do, so let's hear it!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:51 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Welcome!!!

Secondly, read the stickies, your question has been answered a million times over.

Thirdly. Once you read ask yourself this, what budget are you working with. Like do you have unlimited income to p*ss away at this car or are you on a discount beer budget.

Lastly. If it were me, and this is working with my income which would be considered a wine budget, I'd pull the motor, clean up the engine bay inspecting all sensors and harness for shorts and repairing worn areas and or replacing all easy to access sensors. Next pull the transmission and inspect the transmission harness for issues. Take the motor and transmission, load it in the back of the truck and haul to the scrap yard with the transmission. Go to late model restoration or summit racing and buy a 340 bhp 347 crate motor. Then get a TKO 500 transmission. Then install and call it a day.

Now I can see yourself asking, why would I choose this route which is an expensive route. Well this is coming from a person that has done it the other way, piece crap together and wing it, and let me tell you, the above route is hands down the best way to do it. You're replacing the main components with brand new components and they're warrantied. Only way I'd build another motor using the existing components is if somebody is paying me, other than that, never again. Its cheaper but the trade off for time invested, plush finding a shop willing to hone the engine, and another willing to mill the heads and flywheel is a pain. Just get it all new and be done.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

^^ +1.

What's your budget? Do you like to do all your own building? If not, then I agree to go with a crate motor and just stuff that bad boy in there and go have fun. Otherwise, there's a couple ways to boost power within a budget. Idk how familiar you are to mustangs, but the stock e7 cylinder heads are just non-flowing boat anchors. So I would research about the GT40p cylinder heads. I think they came off the Explorer motors. Also look into getting a Cobra/GT40 intake manifold, you should be able to find one for about $4-500. 24 lb cobra injectors. Open up your exhaust with shorty headers and a 2.5" off road mid-pipe (if your not in california) and some nice mufflers (I prefer spin tech, expensive but they're mean as hell) and you should be pretty set. All of that should set you back maybe $1200 depending if you do the work yourself and find some good deals
Old 07-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Stefanwlsn

First,
i read the stickies and the most relevant ones didn't work so i didn't get much info. Also, most are for things above and beyond what I am wanting to do.

Second,
I am on a low budget, like $2k for the whole thing, hence why I said "mild rebuild".

I'd love to do a crate, but we are a single-income family with a baby, so not much extra money for doing things the easy way. lol
Old 07-22-2012, 11:03 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stefanwlsn
First,
i read the stickies and the most relevant ones didn't work so i didn't get much info. Also, most are for things above and beyond what I am wanting to do.

Second,
I am on a low budget, like $2k for the whole thing, hence why I said "mild rebuild".

I'd love to do a crate, but we are a single-income family with a baby, so not much extra money for doing things the easy way. lol
What I told you fits in your budget range