5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Misfire/Hesitation that's baffling me

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Spim

Default Misfire/Hesitation that's baffling me

94 GT 5.0
getting an intermittent misfire that comes and goes, seems to happen under low load 15-1800 rpm, started first about 6 months ago then disappeared, thought I had it behind me, and then bummer, it returned this week.

it will misfire/skip for a split second and engine light comes on then right back off, then repeats whenever it feels like it...

Did a tuneup, cleaned all injectors, checked grounds, replaced battery terminals, replaced rotor, all plugs and plug wires but didn't help.

where should I start next ? it doesn't feel like a tranny issue (had it checked at the tranny place twice and they can't find anything) but more like an electronic issue but not sure where I should start digging next.

suggestions ? coil ? egr? computer ? i don't want to just throw money at it blindly looking for a gremlin, hoping somebody is aware of a common issue and can point me in the right direction..
Old 07-21-2012, 11:55 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Coil, EGR, and TPS are really the only possibilities here.

Coil would likely have a much wider range of failure.
EGR would likely pop the CEL until the EGR wasn't being commanded anymore(idle, decel, WOT, 4k+ RPM)
TPS would only need a very small problem in the voltage sweep to spike a little stumble. It's likely the cheapest of the 3 if you're without the means to do any testing.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:12 AM
Spim

Originally Posted by mattdel
Coil, EGR, and TPS are really the only possibilities here.

Coil would likely have a much wider range of failure.
EGR would likely pop the CEL until the EGR wasn't being commanded anymore(idle, decel, WOT, 4k+ RPM)
TPS would only need a very small problem in the voltage sweep to spike a little stumble. It's likely the cheapest of the 3 if you're without the means to do any testing.
ok thanks, coil was in my mind anyway so i was leaning that direction already, will work down the chain.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:12 AM
enfausn
1st Gear Member

There's a chance it could be a vacuum leak somewhere. Vacuum leaks can cause some strange problems that come and go. I always check all the connections 1st by wiggling and such, then try the old stand-by with starter fluid and wiggling lines while its running. The whole thing will only cost you an hour or so of time and a can of starter fluid.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

No mention of EEC 1V continious memory test results. This should put you in on correct part.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Spim

Originally Posted by Bubba 95SN
No mention of EEC 1V continious memory test results. This should put you in on correct part.
well i'm taking it to a shop that was recommended to me this morning by a mustang addict, hopefully they'll know whee to start.

i'm not familiar with continuous memory test care to explain for informational purposes ?
Old 07-22-2012, 09:55 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Spim
well i'm taking it to a shop that was recommended to me this morning by a mustang addict, hopefully they'll know whee to start.

i'm not familiar with continuous memory test care to explain for informational purposes ?
http://sbftech.com/index.php?topic=2471.0
DIY KOEO/KOER/Cylinder balance test

Acronym explanation: DIY = do it yourself
KOEO = Key on, Engine OFF
KOER = Key on, Engine running

Basically a vehicle self test, including failure code retrieval
Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 PM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

That is a great site! I saw the information is very usefule!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Spim

well 1.5 days in the shop, hoping tomorrow i get that wonderful phone call,
"spim, its ready, and good news, it only cost $8 ! "
wish me luck !
Old 07-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Spim

ok... well, car is back, and so far its running fine with no issues but i'm a little confused,
was told it was a dirty Idle Air Control Sensor, cleaned it up and running fine, besides some diagnostic time and a couple of vacuum lines replaced, that's it. So.. it was a cheap visit to the Car Doc, but not what I expected.

Does it make sense that the IAC would cause a misfire/bucking like that ?

Quick Reply: Misfire/Hesitation that's baffling me