5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How to Set Clutch Cable Preload?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 02:45 PM
AAX86
1st Gear Member

Default How to Set Clutch Cable Preload?

Hey guys, i need help! A couple of you tried to explain how to preload the clutch cable in another thread of mine when i was installing my new clutch but i just didn't understand so i didn't get to preload it. I looked under the dash for the quadrant ratchet you guys were talking about but i just can't seem to figure it out. I might just take out the driver's seat so i can get more room to work with down there.

Anyway, the thing is, i just put this new clutch in and it seems to be working fine. I have about 220 miles on it now. But ever since the second or third day of driving it, the TO bearing has been squeaking, pretty much exactly like it did shortly before the whole clutch started to poop out. I depress the clutch just a tiny bit and the squeaking stops. Let the pedal go and it squeaks constantly, whether it's in gear or neutral. I put a brand new TO bearing on it when i replaced the clutch so i think i need to preload the cable. Either that or i need to grease it up a bit. I didn't put any grease on it cause i didn't know i was supposed to.

So can you guys please explain how to preload the clutch cable? I tried pulling up on the pedal like the book says to do it but that didn't do anything at all so i guess i need to do it manually.

tl;dr TO bearing is squeaking when pedal isn't depressed. Could you please tell me how to set preload on the clutch cable?
Do i have to buy an adjustable quadrant and firewall adjuster?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:09 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

on the clutch assembly on top of the pedals over on the gas pedal side is the quadrent
you need to push the pedal down a bit ( watch how the quadrent moves ) then hold that in place while you pull the pedal back up a few clicks. This will put just a slight preload on the tb and will help to disengage the clutch a little further from the floor . You shouldnt need to push the pedal all the way to the floor to get it to disengage . I like mine about half way.
If its disengaging to close to the top of the pedal then to adjust it you just pull back on the pedal while its at the top this wil self adjust youll hear a click do this till you hear no more clicks this means that its adj to factory then as the clutch wears out when you want to adj again just pull it up a bit again.
It is kinda hard to explain but if you get under there and give a good look over of how the quadrent actually works it will hit ya. Once it does youll be shocked as to how easy it is.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:10 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/.../photo_10.html
tried to imbed a photo but im not sure if it went or not all i see is a red x
Old 08-06-2012, 09:43 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Throw out bearings need grease, no way around it. And did you replace the pilot bearing while you had the tranny out? If not, better get busy pulling it again to grease the TO bearing and replace the pilot bearing.

As for the preload, that is a bad thing because the TO bearing will be turning all the time and will wear out very quickly. Just a little slack in the cable is proper, it shouldn't be tight or loose.

If you're still running the stock pawl and quadrant, you are on borowed time. One day you're gonna get in, push the clutch and hear an ugly noise and the pedal is going to drop to the floor along with a bunch of small plastic pieces. This will not be fun if it happens anywhere other than in your driveway. Buck up and get a nice aftermarket adjustable cable with a solid quadrant and then you won't have to worry about getting standed when the stock plastic junk fails.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:28 PM
AAX86
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
on the clutch assembly on top of the pedals over on the gas pedal side is the quadrent
you need to push the pedal down a bit ( watch how the quadrent moves ) then hold that in place while you pull the pedal back up a few clicks. This will put just a slight preload on the tb and will help to disengage the clutch a little further from the floor . You shouldnt need to push the pedal all the way to the floor to get it to disengage . I like mine about half way.
If its disengaging to close to the top of the pedal then to adjust it you just pull back on the pedal while its at the top this wil self adjust youll hear a click do this till you hear no more clicks this means that its adj to factory then as the clutch wears out when you want to adj again just pull it up a bit again.
It is kinda hard to explain but if you get under there and give a good look over of how the quadrent actually works it will hit ya. Once it does youll be shocked as to how easy it is.
That makes perfect sense now. I moved it up a few clicks and it solved my problem. No more squeak! Thanks