5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

plugged holes in back of heads, car wouldnt run afterwards?!?!?!?

Old 09-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Navyman85

Exclamation plugged holes in back of heads, car wouldnt run afterwards?!?!?!?

so, i am new to this forum, and if i can get any help on this, i would greatly appreciate it. I have a 1995 Mustang GT with an automatic transmission. The only mods i have made to the car are BBK equal length shorty headers, BBK midpipe w/cats, flowmaster exhaust, iridium tipped spark plugs w/ 8.5 mm plug wires, summit racing distributer cap and ignition coil, bbk cold air intake, and bbk pre-calibrated maf sensor for 19lb injectors. i removed the air/smog pump and put a pulley in its place, when i bought the car there was no hoses or anything plugged in to it so i just pulled it off. i had underdrive pulleys, but took them off because the battery wasnt being charged as fast as it should have been. So i had pulled some codes from the car and i got code 312 after running both the koeo and koer tests, and it said something about thermactor air misdirected...i read something online about plugging two holes in the back of each cylinder head with the same kind of screw used to secure the headers to the heads. i read that if they werent plugged, it would cause that code to come up, and could cause exhaust leaks, etc. so i plugged the holes. i went to start the car up, and it would die immediately unless i held down the gas and brought the rpm's up to 2000, 3000, etc. it sounded terrible, so i pulled the screws back out, went to start the car up, and it still sounds terrible and dies almost immediately, without any check engine light. i dont know why, but something told me to unplug the connector to the maf sensor. once i do, the car starts up and sounds decent, but the check engine light comes on (obviously for the maf being unplugged). while i was plugging and unplugging the holes in the back of the heads, i found a hose that was disconnected, it was right behind the upper intake manifold. i have no idea where it goes, or where it comes from, but its connected to a plastic joint that another hose connects to, and runs into the fender in the back of the engine bay, passenger side, right below where the connector is for plugging in a code reader. sorry for the long post, but i wanted to make sure i gave all the information i could. HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:33 AM
3rd Gear Member

im pretty sure it is a vacuum hose and gets plugged into the upper intake (on the under side)
i have a cobra upper intake however, but that shouldnt matter as far as i know.
sounds like you are talking about line 'L' or line 'N'?

Last edited by 9550; 09-03-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Navyman85

you are awesome. flat out, incredibly, amazingly, just awesome. I posted this question on 4 different mustang forums, and while some people in other forums also tried to help me out by offering suggestions as what to look at, that picture you posted showed me exactly what was wrong. i disconnected the first two connectors for the fuel rail that is directly under the upper intake manifold, stuck my hand down in there (at 10:00 P.M., the night before i had to go back to work) and found a plug with no hose on it, and a plug with a hose on it. the one with no hose was the "L" plug on your picture. Instead of taking off all that stuff that late at night, i grabbed the tube, slid some heatshrink over it, felt under the intake and put it on the connector, stuck one of those long barbecue lighters under there to melt the heatshrink onto it, and then plugged it in and secured it with heatshrink at the other end...and i was able to drive it with almost no problem...only problem now is that when i do start it up, it sounds like it wants to die, and the lights flicker and i think the alternator may be going because as long as i am holding down the pedal just a bit everything will stay on fine. so when i am driving, i have no problem, unless i am at a stoplight for awhile, then the lights might flicker a bit. Thanks again, that picture was very helpful.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

glad i could help
good luck!