5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I Really need help... 92 5.0 wont run after sitting a bit

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 PM
schecterplayer
1st Gear Member

Default I Really need help... 92 5.0 wont run after sitting a bit

hello, i own a 1992 calypso green 5.0 hatchback mustang. heres the problems im currently having. it all started about a year ago. i came home from boarding school, drove the car and it ran like a champ. came home next month and the darn thing sounded like a junker. it would not and i mean NOT RUN. if i ever got it started i had to floor it to keep it semi running on what sounded like 3 cylinders. blue exhaust poured out for the duration. so i replaced the ignition system and stilll nothing.

now a year later i came back to it and tried to start it. no blue smoke, ran a tiny bit better. saw the timg was loose????? the distributor was so loose it turned freely!!! WHA???? so i had to take the time to manually find a decent timing that would work. i have no light and the car doesnt run well enough to use one. so i started it up again and it starts up quick and to my surprise idles. but only for a minute or two then sputters and dies. can no longer start it after that for a long while. come back a couple days later and same thing. idles for a bit and thats the end of that.

heres what i have replaced on it so far to try and fix this. ignition tune up, all new plugs, wires, etc. pcv valve, tested the mass air, alternator ( that was bad anyway).

a new problem has come up recently too. there is an exhaust leak up near the block. its very loud. this only started a few days ago.

today i figured it was bad gas( which it had some yes but not when this all started) so i drained it, put new gas in, put in fuel system cleaner and i let it idle for as long as it would to try to clear the gas lines. no help. i changed the oil and as it drained i noticed it was sooo thin. like water almost. smellled it and it has gas in it. what caused that???

so sorry for the long post but i really need help. i hav nowhere else to look. im about to scrap it honestly. any help is so greatly appreciated.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:59 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

A new exhaust leak near the engine could indicate a restriction further down the line, such as plugged cats. would also cause blue smoke and poor running.

Also a bad PIP could create the running issues.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:06 PM
schecterplayer
1st Gear Member

hey man thanks for the snappy reply. but none of that explains the gas in the oil. i want to also add that the check engine light is not on. only low coolant. what is a PIP? also when the car runs it actually runs fairly decent. untill it dies. before it sounded worse that a radical cam
Old 09-07-2012, 11:50 AM
schecterplayer
1st Gear Member

hello??? i really need help here
Old 09-07-2012, 01:05 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Gas in the oil means you have injector leakage while the engine is off, and likely some worn piston rings along with it.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:36 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Sounds like you are either burning really rich or you could have bad piston rings.. It really could be a lot of things though.. Could have been the ignition system not firing the fuel (the bad timing you had, bad plugs, wires, etc..).. Could be bad injectors.. It's hard to give a specific answer without actually hearing it or seeing it run