5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1990GT ONCE AGAIN! chiming sound when key is engaged in the ignition problem.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 AM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

Default 1990GT ONCE AGAIN! chiming sound when key is engaged in the ignition problem.

Ive posted a thread about this a little while ago. that chiming tone u get when the door is open and the key is in the ignition wasnt very loud in mine since i bought the car and i always wondered what the problem was. i know its unneccessary and pointless but i just want that original component and sound like ive said in the other posts. a few people replied to my issue and told me where the speaker box is which was underneath your right knee if you were sitting in the driver seat. Explained as a small speaker box with a metal bracket underneath a bunch of relays. I looked as much as a could and couldnt find it. when i listened as closely as possible, it sounded as if the chime was coming from behind the center of the dashboard. my question is could this box have been tuct in the back center of the dashboard possibly behind the radio? if somebody has suggestions please let me know Thank you!!!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:57 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

yea well If you cant see it under the dash it is likely that someone relocted it so that its not as annoying. You may also need to remove the panels under the steering column to find it. If you think its coming from behind the radio then youll have to pull it to see.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:44 AM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

is there possibly a photo available of what it looks like ive looked i just dont think anybody took the time to take a picture of that so i cant find it lol
Old 09-22-2012, 05:10 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

sounds like it might be your airbag system chiming? https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...y-beeping.html
Old 09-23-2012, 09:56 AM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

You'll find the warning chime is mounted on the right side of the lower instrument panel flange between the console and the glove box.

If you want to try and refurbish the chime.......... bring it back to it's original sound.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post2649633

Last edited by ALMOST STOCK; 09-29-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:39 PM
jclaudii
1st Gear Member

I know this is about to get closed, so I'll be brief.

To make it where you car won't beep when you leave key in and door open, there is 1 wire at the ignition key tumbler that you can leave unplugged and it will no longer beep when you leave door open and key on. For example, you want to leave doors open and radio on when you detail your car...this will let you do that without the beeping.

The module is under the dash and is the same chime when you leave headlights on. I ended up removing the box, so I can take pics or give more info on it if anyone needs, but I suspect it has an internal messup as whenever I would turn the wipers on, with headlights on, the silly box would beep. In our state of Arkansas the law requires us to run our lights with our wipers...so I could either be illegal and hope no issues arose.

Eitherway, I am not sure if the white box I removed is the same as the airbag one or not.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:23 AM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

hey its been a long time since i looked at this thread, ive been working and havent even looked again. Car is sitting in my garage lol. I might by repeating myself but i dont feel like speculating on all the things ive already said so ill say it again briefly. Im not a master mechanic and ill admit some terms and certain things explained puzzle me because im still learning a lot. my friend that does electric and all that (needs to get a better look last time we worked on the car it was getting dark) like some people said its under the dashboard on the right side of the driver seat i looked as much as i could, and i did not find the little box with a bracket. One of my friends listened closely he had his head literally resting on my clutch pedal and he said it sounds like its coming from the middle or somewhere tangled in there. so is it possible someone pushed it back there so it wouldnt be heard as much?