5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

to do or not to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:32 PM
oldfordisbetter
1st Gear Member

Default to do or not to do?

well basically ive been trying to sell the stang... alot of low ballers and tire kickers and everyone with a civic or eclipse wantting to trade... ive been driving it quite a bit lately and am considering keeping it and putting the money into it...im asking yall to help me out... i was looking into a jetta tdi or a ford fusion as a commuter or backup car or something. so either spend $5+g on one of those or put a few into the stang. i mean i already own it. it has passed nj inspection in march so no need to worry about any of that. there are a few things that needs fixing to be a decent dd... its got a starting problem...has edelbrock electric choke carb. ive been told they r junk n just swap to a holley. also it over heats when its really hot out. has alum rad. been told by a few people and a few mechanics it may need head gaskets. but i would be thinking about elect fan also to aid and free up some power...i was told when i bought the car there was edelbrock alumn heads but after a few mechanics looking at car they all said they r iron gt40s... a big bummer there... so if in deed its head gaskets id b in the market for better heads. aint spending $1000+ on heads but who knows mabye one of yall got something laying around...also i was told bbx x pipe was on car. its so low to ground i never got a chance to look up under there. but it was on a lift other day and its true duel exhaust. it does have high flow cats. 2 on each side. might knock one on each side off. also there are o2 sensors... i thought those wernt needed on carbed cars? gets me to thinking mabye it was fuel injected car converted over? stuff i hadnt looked into when i bought car.... also speedometer dont work. i use a gps to track mph... so thats gotta be fixed. but my dad looked at that and said the cable is good its something in the trans that is broke? idk. what could that be? also a new king cobra clutch might would go in... also when i put it in reverse itll gring a bit. doesnt happen all the time but it does more then not. so ive been putting in fourth then reverse and it doesnt grind when i do that way. what could that be? also its got bad suspension. harsh ride. do i just replace shocks springs struts or go ***** to the wall? are poly bushings worth it? also in the rear end on pass side ive been told the axle bearing is worn. makes noise when i do left turns... that could also be my vibration above 75mph. so i dont do ovr 75mph. its real hard bc the car is fast....to me....so the axles would have to come out. wile those are out a 5 lug upgrade people told me to do. but im content with the pony wheels i got on it so no 5lug swap for me. royal purple would fill up rear and a nice diff cover mabye...it needs rear drum breaks fixed. also emergency brake dont work for crap.the magnaflows are a bit ricey/bumble bee sounding at wot... so i got a pair of super 44's on the shelf id put on it....found a guy who has a factory scoop hood for my car selling it for $100. id buy that but its red my car is black. it could use paintjob has scratches all over it. was repainted 2 years ago at macco... id do a factory ford orange color.. the new edges have a real nice orange color. i got a buddy that does interiors.. said for $400 in material he could recover seats repaint interior panels new carpet headliner. also the radio needs upgrading and speakers. i would remove spare tire and make a sub box or get a shallow mount sub to put down there. also wile carpet and interior panels out id have whole thing dyno mat or boom mat or lizard skin'd... then some tint....also driver seat belt dont retract... so i got it tied up in a knot to be tight on me. thats gotta be fixed. windsheild washer dont squirt. you hear the motor working but nothing comes out. mabye line is missing or clogged. and center consol/armrest is broke. either glue it up or go to junkyard for replacement. i just recently upgraded headlights to h4 housings and got nice blue bulbs... also fogs need be replaced.

p.s. people i tell all this too looks at me with a dumb look. saying man that thing must be a pos... but its really not. it runs drives is comfortable looks good no rust.. just alot of stupid things need fixing lol

Last edited by oldfordisbetter; 09-13-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:55 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

That is way too much to read, sorry.. But I would say keep it and throw a few dollars into it. Nothing says you can't buy a little beater DD as well. Something around 2K to just get you around while you break the mustang down
Old 09-13-2012, 05:42 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I agree way to much to read. ......
If your lookin here for someone to tell you to get rid of the stang and go to a jetta or a fusion your in the wrong forum lol .
Sounds to me like you know what you want to do allready. Keep it fix it
Old 09-13-2012, 06:04 AM
oldfordisbetter
1st Gear Member

instead of starting alot of forums i figured id comsume it into one big thread. also not looking for any convincing. i plan to turn stang into a dd.... it just needs some major things fixed before so. like the starting problem. the rear end problem. and the suspension...
Old 09-13-2012, 10:22 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Read the bolded.. I would make it a project personally and completely rebuild the car.. IF, and only IF, it's a clean looking car inside and out body wise, chassis wise, upholstery, etc... Mechanical stuff I'd be will to rip everything out and go start from the rear of the car all the way to motor.

I can't see pics where I'm at, so I don't know what the car looks like, sorry.. Like I said, I would only do that IF it was very clean and straight.. It would only take a few thousand to have a nice running fox if you do the work yourself.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:24 AM
oldfordisbetter
1st Gear Member

Its somewhat clean... the interior is dirty. Seats r staiined carpet is stained headliner is missing. Interior plastics need re painting.... body is good. No rust anywhere. Alot of fine scratches in paint... major gouges in hood but i plan to get another hood anyways. Car could use a paintjob. Looks good 10feet away but up close scratches can be seen. Im thinking the rear end ill just replace whats there with better then stock. Its still the 7.5 no 8.8. And im not looking to do 5lug....needs rear breaks wile im there...mabye some upper lower control arms subframe connectors...