5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Balancer Trouble

Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Default Balancer Trouble

I just installed my harmonic balancer. Now when I go to install my water pump back onto the timing cover, there's a bolt hole on the bottom that is touching the balancer. I ground some material off the bolt hole, and now it lines up a little better, but it still touches.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:27 PM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

Just a stab in the dark without a pic, but are you sure your balancer is on all the way? And do you mean bolt hole or bolt?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

I'm pretty sure its on all the way. I will post a pic tomorrow. And yes theres a bolt hole on the bottom of the water pump. I ground some but figured i'd check before I did anymore. The balancersticks out about an inch from the block. Is that on all the way?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:33 AM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

I can't say if it's on all the way cuz I don't know your engine, (& a pic won't help so disregard that) but balancers are pretty much the same across the Ford/Dodge/Chevy spectrum so the fact you say it's rubbing is all that matters. Best way to find out what's wrong is with questions. Is this a new balancer? y or n ? If new, did you compare it to the old one you took off as far as exact diameter of the vibration ring & the length from the front of the ring pad to the rear of the snout (total overall length front to back) y or n?
What did you use to install it? A. the install tool? B. a bolt? C. a hammer? What kind of key does yours have? Is it a long slotted key or a woodruff key? (A woodruff key is flat on one side & rounded on the other & a lot smaller than a regular piece of keystock)
Is your water pump the original or are you putting on a new one? If new, is it exactly the same as the original?

If it's a new balancer & you didn't measure it or compare it to your old one), then it could be wrong even though it fits the crank. Same applies to the water pump even though it might bolt right on.
If it's your original water pump & balancer, or a new one (either WP or balancer) & you did compare it/them to the originals & they are exactly the same measurements & your answers are hammer, & woodruff key, then I think what happened is the woodruff key slipped out of it's slot & is stuck between the crank & the rear of the balancer snout.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:41 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Yes they are both new, it is a Summit balancer and a Ford Racing water pump. I used a soft hammer to install (this is what the instructions say since I didnt have the tool). When it seemed like I wasnt making anymore progress, I put the crank bolt on and tightened it down to push the balancer on more, once it was tight it started to rotate the assembly. Its hard to measure the old balancer because the crank pulley it still attached to it. And yes, the crank snout has 3 woodruff keys on it.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:09 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I would pull the balancer back off make sure the keys are in proper then reinstall it with the correct tool, I dont care what the instructions say , a soft hammer is not a proper tool to install a balancer. If the balancer is an inch away from the block you can almost bet its not in all the way. The balancer install tool is about 45 bucks at autozone and you can just rent it for the cost of the tool then when you return it you get your money back.
Youll also need to compare the vibration ring diameter of the new balancer to the old one so you may as well remove the crank pully. Also compare the bolt pattern of the new water pump to the old one.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:53 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Name:  1348140796_zpsd0aa377d.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  54.7 KB

I have the old balancer still, but not the old water pump. I was going to pull the balancer back off today, do I need the puller to do this?
Old 09-20-2012, 07:02 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

I just read that a lot of people have had to grind 1/8" off the bottom of the water pump, especially with the 94-95 cars. I just didn't know if that was normal or not

Anyways, does that balancer look right?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:35 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

The balancer dont look like its even close to being all the way on.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:42 PM
javila2468
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
The balancer dont look like its even close to being all the way on.
+1......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Balancer Trouble