5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Overheating Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 07:11 PM
sminor

Originally Posted by mattdel
Its classic signs of air flow problems. I condemn the fan clutch, assuming you don't have some crazy body kit that is restricting air through the radiator.
Hey Matt,
There is no body kit, this car is bone stock. I keep thinking air flow problems too. In fact, I've even replaced the tranny cooler because I thought it might be stopped up and restricting air flow through the radiator. Is there a way to test the fan clutch to see if it needs replaced? It seems to be pulling alot of air through the radiator. Should I consider installing a pusher fan also and run it on a thermal relay? Is there supposed to be ventilation in the engine compartment to let the heat out like my Cobra? I really appreciate you guys trying to help me figure this out. I'm at a loss on how to proceed.
steve
Old 09-30-2012, 07:16 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

There's a few ways to check it.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5086903_test-fan-clutch.html,
http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...rticle-109.htm, and
Old 09-30-2012, 07:48 PM
sminor

Matt,
Thank you for posting the vid and articles. I studied them, then started the car and let it get to operating temp. I did not have a newspaper, so I rolled up a manila envelope and stuck it in the fan. It sounded cool (like a playing card in bicycle spokes) but did not slow or stop the fan. I then turned the car off and tried to spin the fan. I was able to spin it about 5/8 turn. No noise or wobble. Someone asked about the thermostat, I believe it is 180.
steve
Old 09-30-2012, 08:25 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Get yourself a gauge, you can get one rather cheap at the corral.net classifieds.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:28 PM
sminor

Originally Posted by darkmach1
Get yourself a gauge, you can get one rather cheap at the corral.net classifieds.
Okay, will do.
Thanks,
steve
Old 09-30-2012, 09:19 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Reason I recommend the gauge is because you simply can't tell temp in the stock gauge, it can be 200 and ok or 240+. Even when I had my Mach, I had air in the system, stock gauge reading below half (which was supposed to be normal) and my SCT tuner was reading 236 and slowly creeping up. I spent sometime troubleshooting an overheating issue on my 85, changed to an electric fan, flushed the system and nothing it still crept up on the stock gauge. Found a temp and oil pressure gauge for less than 100 bucks, found that even though temp never went over 210 in my drives, the cooling system didn't seem to be controlling once the Tstat opened.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:45 PM
sminor

Originally Posted by darkmach1
Reason I recommend the gauge is because you simply can't tell temp in the stock gauge, it can be 200 and ok or 240+. Even when I had my Mach, I had air in the system, stock gauge reading below half (which was supposed to be normal) and my SCT tuner was reading 236 and slowly creeping up. I spent sometime troubleshooting an overheating issue on my 85, changed to an electric fan, flushed the system and nothing it still crept up on the stock gauge. Found a temp and oil pressure gauge for less than 100 bucks, found that even though temp never went over 210 in my drives, the cooling system didn't seem to be controlling once the Tstat opened.
Got 'cha............Electric or mechanical?
steve
Old 09-30-2012, 09:53 PM
sminor

Another thought, does anyone know the diameter of a stock (OEM) water pump pulley, and is it possible to overdrive the water pump to force it to pump water faster at idle? My car uses a serpentine belt.
steve
Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sminor
Got 'cha............Electric or mechanical?
steve
A lot of people swear by mechanical, I'm indifferent, my electric works perfectly good and shows small changes in temp when the T-stat opens.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:26 PM
furiousjoe

ok, so once you move away from traffic the temp drops, if you hit traffic again, does the temp creep back up, or does it only do it once and then the temp remains stable?

i would not try and increase the water pump pumping power - i don't think that is your issue. particularly because you have changed engines and the problem remains, sounds like gauge issue or system needs a good burp. have you done a coolant change recently?

Quick Reply: Overheating Mystery