5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

smog pump system help

Old 10-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Smog delete is dumb.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:26 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

smog delete is not dumb.........I took mine off cause I dont run any cats and my heads dont accept the tube . So how is it dumb exactly??
Old 10-07-2012, 05:57 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I'm going to disagree with the dumb comment also. It's like saying driving a fox Mustang over a prius is dumb. The Smog pump is for polution control. Nothin more. It injects air into the hot exhaust before the cats. This reduces the amount of hydrocarbons emitted out the exhaust. The burning produces more oxides of carbon and nitrogen than unburned fuel, simply because it is burnt. I'm more interested in the horse power gain and weight saving off the nose of the car than saving the rain forrest. But thats just me.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:10 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
I'm going to disagree with the dumb comment also. It's like saying driving a fox Mustang over a prius is dumb. The Smog pump is for polution control. Nothin more. It injects air into the hot exhaust before the cats. This reduces the amount of hydrocarbons emitted out the exhaust. The burning produces more oxides of carbon and nitrogen than unburned fuel, simply because it is burnt. I'm more interested in the horse power gain and weight saving off the nose of the car than saving the rain forrest. But thats just me.
exactly ....our govment makes more pollution in a day than my little pony makes all year . And when I went to no cats I didnt see a reason to drag that anchor around under the hood anymore. Of course Im in ohio and they dont do smog checks in my county or safty inspections for that matter. I think the smog pump delete kit is a waste of time though as I just got a smaller belt to bypass the pump and ac unit.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 PM
OIFVET

Originally Posted by dawson1112
The smog pump shouldnt have anything to do with your idle at all. I have a 94 gt and I eliminated it all together. I also could be wrong about the 91 but the hoses from the smog pump should not go to the egr . One should go to the back of the heads and one should go to the cats. The egr and smog systems are completly seperate entitys. The egr should have a tube connected to the exhaust manifold or header, and also a vacuum line to operate it.
Now if your egr is sticking open it will cause an erradic or stumbling idle. I may be wrong on the 91 But im pretty sure they all work the same up to 95.
that's what i thought as well until i unhooked the pump hose to the connector line that leads to the back of the block, drove it around and the idle stayed normal. I then hooked it back up and did the same process and the idle started acting up again, which lead me to believe that the smog pump is some how causing it to act stupid. I figured the whole reason for the pump is to aid the catalytic converters in well converting unwanted particles by supplying more air to them and if it isn't doing it properly while hooked up then it needs to be replaced. I would love to delete it all together but i'm gonna need it for emissions.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:56 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OIFVET
that's what i thought as well until i unhooked the pump hose to the connector line that leads to the back of the block, drove it around and the idle stayed normal. I then hooked it back up and did the same process and the idle started acting up again, which lead me to believe that the smog pump is some how causing it to act stupid. I figured the whole reason for the pump is to aid the catalytic converters in well converting unwanted particles by supplying more air to them and if it isn't doing it properly while hooked up then it needs to be replaced. I would love to delete it all together but i'm gonna need it for emissions.
Well thats a different area than the egr..... Your pump is probly working fine it sounds like it may be the valve that supplys air to the heads could be stuck open. Have you checked for any codes on the computer? The smog pump should only supply air to the heads for a short time at startup after that the valves close and the air is dumped into the atmospere. If the valve is stuck open it will pump air into the exhaust ahead of the o2 sensors causing the computer to think its running lean and it will richen up the air/fuel mix.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:48 PM
OIFVET

Well thats a different area than the egr..... Your pump is probly working fine it sounds like it may be the valve that supplys air to the heads could be stuck open. Have you checked for any codes on the computer? The smog pump should only supply air to the heads for a short time at startup after that the valves close and the air is dumped into the atmospere. If the valve is stuck open it will pump air into the exhaust ahead of the o2 sensors causing the computer to think its running lean and it will richen up the air/fuel mix.
To be honest I didn't even think about checking for codes. I figured the check engine light isn't on so it should be good. Which vavle should I be checking?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:36 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

There should be one valve with some wires going to it its a solenoid that opens and closes a valve when its open it sends air to both the cats and heads for the first miniute or 2 then it closes and dumps the air. Im not sure what codes the computer will store but if i remember right it will be a code 44 for the Thermactor Air Control System or diverter valve. The check engine light doesnt come on for every code . Before I eliminated my pump the diverter valve was stuck and when I ran a KOER test I got a lean code from my o2s . One of the valves is a diverter and one is Thermactor Air Bypass Im not sure but If i remember the diverter is operated by a solenoid controlled by the ecu and the other is controlled by a vacuum line that goes threw the fender on the passanger side, this vacuum line goes to a vacuum control solenoid . And I cant remember witch one does what any more but Im alomost sure the diverter is the one that controls air to the heads.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:06 PM
OIFVET

There should be one valve with some wires going to it its a solenoid that opens and closes a valve when its open it sends air to both the cats and heads for the first miniute or 2 then it closes and dumps the air. Im not sure what codes the computer will store but if i remember right it will be a code 44 for the Thermactor Air Control System or diverter valve. The check engine light doesnt come on for every code . Before I eliminated my pump the diverter valve was stuck and when I ran a KOER test I got a lean code from my o2s . One of the valves is a diverter and one is Thermactor Air Bypass Im not sure but If i remember the diverter is operated by a solenoid controlled by the ecu and the other is controlled by a vacuum line that goes threw the fender on the passanger side, this vacuum line goes to a vacuum control solenoid . And I cant remember witch one does what any more but Im alomost sure the diverter is the one that controls air to the heads.
Ok thanks, ill check it out and let you know what turns up
Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Air Bypass Valve

Air flows down the hose from the smog pump to the Air Bypass Valve.

With no vacuum at the valve, air is diverted out the bottom of the valve to the atmosphere. The air is directed to the atmosphere under deceleration.

With vacuum at the valve, air continues down the hose to the Air Diverter Valve.

Air Diverter Valve

As the air enters the Air Diverter Valve it has two choices, it either flows to the back of the heads or to the catalytic converters.

With no vacuum at the valve, air flows downward in the valve toward the catalytic converters.

With vacuum at the valve, air continues to the back of the heads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: smog pump system help