5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5.0 idle surge need some ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:24 PM
codyshowalter

Default 5.0 idle surge need some ideas!

Hey, this is my first time posting a forum on here just trying to gather some ideas from people. i have a 1993 5.0 daily driver and ive been having some problems with it surging when i start it up.

e303,24#inj,ported upper/lower cobra intake,75mm MAF/TB,full basani exhaust,

i have the timing at 12, cleaned MAF/TB,ran cleaner through it, new iac, new thermostat. these are things ive done so far to try to help but none have worked.

The surging gets bad after it warms up a bit, doesn't do it when you first start it. so if anyone has any ideas help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-22-2012, 05:12 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

IAC, vacuum leak, or ECT.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:12 PM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

I have a similar issue, but it only surges until operating temp. I have a 1990 daily driver as well with a few bolt-ons. I never found a way to stop it from surging on start-up, but it would still mildly surge until I set the TPS Voltage and Idle.

Have you tried pulling the IAC when the car is at normal operating temp and manually setting the idle/tps voltage?

If you don't know how to do it, I can guide you through the process, or a quick forum/google search can find you a thread on it.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure someone with more tech experience will be able to offer other advice on what it may be if this isn't the direct issue.

Edit -- Beaten by Mattdel. Well played sir.. well played
Old 10-22-2012, 05:34 PM
codyshowalter

dont think its a vacuum leak i redid all of the lines when i bought the car.

and nope i was messing with the tps today that was kind of my next guess. but i dont have a volt reader so i didnt touch it much im gonna go pick one up tomorrow. whats the right way to set the idle?
Old 10-22-2012, 06:20 PM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

TPS:
-Turn the Ignition to ON but don't start the car. Get a reading of the voltage on the TPS. I'd suggest anything from .90 to 1.0. A lot of people swear up and down on .95-.98(or .99), but anything between .5-1.2 is fine according to Ford.
-Set the digital volt meter to volts d/c (I usually set mine to 20v on my meter), and clip the black (ground) lead to a good engine ground. Push a straight pin into back of the TPS electrical connector in the cavity containing the green wire. Clip the red (power) lead of the meter to the pin.
-Loosen the screws so you can rotate the TPS as needed for proper voltage, re-tighten the screws when you're done, and read below.

Idle:
-Start the car normally to operating temperature
-Remove the IAC and with a flathead screwdriver, rotate the lock nut to get the desired idle. If the car stalls when you remove the IAC, try to have someone keep the car turned over when setting it. (Chances are once at running temp it won't stall though)
-To raise idle, turn the lock nut CLOCKWISE, to lower idle turn COUNTER CLOCKWISE (the screw is located on the back of the throttlebody -- I've attached a picture of the screw on my car)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

-With the IAC out and the Idle set (I'd go to 750-850, but that's personal preference), turn off the car.
-Now that your Idle and TPS voltage are set, take off the negative cable on the battery. Let car sit for 15-20 minutes with cable out to reset computer
-After 15-20 minutes, re-attach IAC, and turn the car over. Re-check the voltage on the TPS, and your car SHOULD be idling at or very close to what you changed it to when it's at normal operating temp.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 PM
codyshowalter

awesome thanks alot! ill give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 PM
AAX86
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 90nSSMD
TPS:
-Turn the Ignition to ON but don't start the car. Get a reading of the voltage on the TPS. I'd suggest anything from .90 to 1.0. A lot of people swear up and down on .95-.98(or .99), but anything between .5-1.2 is fine according to Ford.
-Set the digital volt meter to volts d/c (I usually set mine to 20v on my meter), and clip the black (ground) lead to a good engine ground. Push a straight pin into back of the TPS electrical connector in the cavity containing the green wire. Clip the red (power) lead of the meter to the pin.
-Loosen the screws so you can rotate the TPS as needed for proper voltage, re-tighten the screws when you're done, and read below.

Hope this helps.
+1 for TPS. I had the same idle surge problem before when the engine warmed up. Checked the TPS and it was showing some crazy voltage (over 2.0v at idle). Got a new one from O'reilly's for around $40 and it fixed the problem right away.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 PM
acerothstien

I had the same issue, replaced the tps and good to go.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:23 PM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by codyshowalter
awesome thanks alot! ill give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens
No problem! Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:01 PM
codyshowalter

hey sorry it took so long to reply just got around to doing it this weekend set the idle and tps seems a little better but it still does it, but i was looking at some other things the car doesnt run very hot at all i checked the water temp after driving it for a while and it was only at 140 would it do it if the motor doesnt get hot enough? temperature affects it quite a bit

Quick Reply: 5.0 idle surge need some ideas!