5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Ugh, why me.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 04:20 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Default Ugh, why me.

So lately I've been losing coolant but can't find where. Well today things took a turn for the worse. The car used to eat a gallon every week or so, now it pisses it all out once I shut the motor off. Whenever I park the car at my destination, I'll hear the sound of gulping like I took a gallon bottle and turned it upside. When I go outside to investigate, it is pissing coolant on the passenger side towards where the seat mounting bolts are. Where the hell could this be coming from? Also, I've noticed a few drops of water inside the interior but nothing big.

Is there a coolant hose back there I've missed? Some other things is that it'll start to show it's overheating but when I floor the car, the temperature will rapidly drop. I'm out of ideas. WTF is going on. All hoses are new and so is the headgasket which was replaced with 9333's.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:52 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

It sounds like the heater core is dumping out . Probly running down the floor and out
Old 10-26-2012, 05:59 AM
paulo
1st Gear Member

Gotta be the heater core or pose to it posibly.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:58 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Even though there's no water whatsoever inside the interior? Plus the heater core was done less than a year ago. D:
Old 10-27-2012, 05:26 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Yea even though it had a new heater core in it , any number of things could cause a new heater core to leak. A faulty solder joint from the manufacturer , or even damage from a poor install. Heater cores are notoriasly difficult to install for some pple and alot of times a corner or 2 is cut to save time and frustration , such as missing mounting screws causing vibration or rubbing . Even seen some pple try to force the heater core in to a tight space so as to not completly remove all dash an necessary plastics . If you installed the core yourself and you know it was done correctly then it is probly just a bad solder joint that with time became worse from heat expansion over the last year.
The coolant can run down the inside of the fire wall and across the floor through a channel in the body such as along the door under the carpet where the wiring would normally be.
Other places to check are the heater feed and return hoses at the firewall .. Check that the clamps are tight and the tubes they connect to are not loose and moving around. Only other place coolant gets close to the fire wall is the rear of the lower intake , but that would likley emerge from the trans bell housing or rear of the engine and not back where the seat bolts are.
I know a gallon of coolant a week would have had me on a hunt for the leak long ago. Also the over heating condition and rapid temp drom from a wot is because there is air in the system , and at normal driving and idle rpm the air is causing it to to not circulate enough to cool the engine. When you go wot or hit a high rpm it circulates the available coolant enough to finnally draw the cooler liquid from the radiator into the engine .
Old 10-27-2012, 07:52 AM
paulo
1st Gear Member

Yep what dawson says is true. Dont know the design of newer mustangs but it is possible if the leak is small enough it will drip out heater box in engine bay and not into interior. Now that you say it was replaced I would look to make sure hoses are tight and not leaking. I agree also that solder joints could have gone bad. This happens to car if the hose are supported poorly or incorrect. Park on a dry area and then run the car and see if there is an area that gets wet. A gallon of coolant is quite a bit. follow the leak. I bet someone screwed up on installation of heater core. Hopefully it was not you and is covered by a warranty. It might be under pad and dripping out from seat mounts. Some of the pads are kinda think and let it wick down. You might be able to lift rug up under the dash and see. Again I dont know specifics of newer mustangs, just putting it out there to try to help you out.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Bled the cooling system and now the only leak I'm getting is near the bellhousing but it's extremely slow. A new question arises though. What would cause the mounting tabs on a starter to shear off? This has happened to me twice. Happened last night and wasn't too fun to fix.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Also, not a drop of coolant comes from the car when the vehicle is running or when it is revved. It only slow drips near bellhousing when parked.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:59 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

if its leaking from around the underside of the bell housing it is either the intake ( and after I tell you the next thing it could be you will hope it is.) OR one of the freeze plugs in the back of the moter located on either side of the cam and inside of the bell housing is corroded and leaking. Your gonna have to get some light behind the engine to look down at the lower intake and see if you can trace that coolant back up to the engine to find the leak. If it dry up around the intake and heads then then you may have a bad freeze plug on the rear of the engine requiring the trans to come out. SORRY......
Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Oh and as for the starter tabs breaking that could be loose bolts or binding starter causing the starter to rock up or down when it is engaged

Quick Reply: Ugh, why me.