5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Hood Flew Up

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 AM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Default Hood Flew Up

Over the course of the past few days I took off my old TB, cleaned up the surrounding area, and put on a new TB + IAB.

Checked the TPS voltage, and set the idle a few hours ago, and figured I'd give it a test drive to see how she handled. Just a quick trip to the local 7-11, which is roughly 2 miles away.

As I got up the road about a half mile, going about 30-35mph, the hood came unlatched, shot up, and smacked the roof of my car. It was still attached to the hood hinges when I pulled over to the side of the road.
To my surprise, the windshield did NOT break, but the grill, and cowl panel are all bent to hell. The roof of the car also has a small mark (like a scratch) where the hood hit, but no visible dents.

Fortunately for me to a certain extent, my neighbor had pulled out of his driveway shortly after me, and was heading in the same direction up the road as this happened. I have full coverage on my car, with a deductible of $500. It being a Wednesday however, might seem like an issue. I have Historic tags, however, I did just finish a mild repair on the car, and I think a test drive after a repair stands for a 'special occasion' under the Historic Tag laws of the state of Maryland. I might have to do some more research on it, but I think I'm safe on this one.

In any case, I'm curious to know how much this will cost out of pocket if my insurance chooses to decline me.

If anyone is curious to know, I made damn well sure the hood was latched before I drove off. With any repairs under the hood, I always give it a couple solid tugs to make sure it isn't going to come up when I drive. I have a 1990 GT, and it had a STOCK 88 GT hood on it. Someone had stolen the 4" cowl that was on it previously, and the 88 was a holder until I got a new cowl.

Any insight in the area of cost would be great. Also, would it be best to just fix it, or would it be better to cut a check, buy a new Fox, and use this as sort of a parts car if the insurance deems it as a total loss?

Pre-Edit -- I will have pictures for the curious minded. It's 1:30am, and this just happened maybe 2-3 hours ago. It's too dark to really get any decent pictures.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:38 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

How much do you have the car insured for? I've had collector insurance on all my cars and it all depends on what you valued the car at when you purchased the insurance. Option one is pay the $500 deductable. Best option in my opinion. Option two. Out of pocket repairs at a body shop aren't cheap. A body shop will probably hit you for $1500 mininum to repair everything you mentioned. Option three is buying another fox. Not much of a option if you ask my if your present car is in good shape.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:15 AM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

I have the car currently insured for $4,000.

The reason being is because despite NADA marketing this car at $5k at lowest value, I don't believe with the current condition, that it's worth the extra expense on insurance of 5k as opposed to 4k. I'm under 25 if that gives you an idea of my current insurance costs.

I thought about paying the deductible, and just using the check towards another fox, and let this one sit as a parts car.

It still has some solid stuff that I can part out, but a lot of it I feel needs replacing VERY badly. Suspension, paint, etc. It was going to be a project car, but I'm contemplating on picking up a clean stock (or near stock) GT/LX or something, and building from there.

Last edited by 90nSSMD; 12-06-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:10 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I found this on the MVA
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MV...T.htm#historic

"A vehicle registered as historic cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. A trailer does not qualify for historic registration"

I would think that it would be coverd under Occasional transportation, and the insureance company should honour and abide by the states prerequisets of a historical registration .
Old 12-06-2012, 12:23 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 90nSSMD
I have the car currently insured for $4,000.

The reason being is because despite NADA marketing this car at $5k at lowest value, I don't believe with the current condition, that it's worth the extra expense on insurance of 5k as opposed to 4k. I'm under 25 if that gives you an idea of my current insurance costs.

I thought about paying the deductible, and just using the check towards another fox, and let this one sit as a parts car.

It still has some solid stuff that I can part out, but a lot of it I feel needs replacing VERY badly. Suspension, paint, etc. It was going to be a project car, but I'm contemplating on picking up a clean stock (or near stock) GT/LX or something, and building from there.
I doubt you'll get enough from the insurance company to get a decent car. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:45 PM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
I doubt you'll get enough from the insurance company to get a decent car. Good luck.
Yeah I was thinking the same. I live in the city, so there are plenty of transportation options until I find the right vehicle.

I appreciate the insight though on the options available to me.

Guess I'm going to invest in hood pins on the next one, even with a stock hood. Did not expect this at all
Old 12-07-2012, 09:43 AM
MrPack91
1st Gear Member

Do you know what caused the hood to come unlatched?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:39 PM
2011scgt
1st Gear Member

if you own a stang long enough the hood will fly up...i have 2 at the moment that has done it. just a pita to fix
Old 12-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Black90notch

throw hood pins in it for sure, and i know all about the insurance on being under 25 with a fox.... 164per month
Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 PM
eb2gt
2nd Gear Member

The cowl is not hard to fix since I had to repair my car from a very same thing happening just before I bought it. I bought a port-a-power kit from Harbor Freight for 100.00 and used the v-claw to push the cowl metal back in to place. Will have to hammer and anvil the panels to perfection aqnd skim coat before paint. The way it looks right now it is hard to tell anything happened. I would guess with the work time i had involved a body shop would at least charge 500.00 for the body work and I'm not sure about the paint cost. The plastic grill cost about 60 bucks from FMR, so all in all I think you will get off cheaper than you think.

PS. I'm surprised at Marylands policy on historic plates as long as your mileage is with in reason we here in Ohio are safe to take a joy ride.

Last edited by eb2gt; 12-07-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Hood Flew Up