5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1989 mustang gt surging idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 AM
billgates

I may just have to let ford rob me and take it to them as much as i hate to take it to the dealership. I pulled a plug out and it was fouled up pretty bad. I could be wrong but i think whats happening is its been tuned with nos on it and the nos has been removed and it hasnt been adjusted since it was taken off.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

no such thing as overkill/to much pump....the fox body efi has a return style fuel system, so excess is just dumped back to tank, check fuel pressure, check for vaccum leaks, make sure the maf is not contaminated due to oil from a k and n filter, and make sure no vaccum leaks are pressent, smoke test is best way to test for such
Old 12-07-2012, 12:04 PM
billgates

Thanks for the help guys. I am at ford dealership right now. I gess they know this car more than me . They said the guy who use to own it was in this dealership atleast once a month putting more money in to engine. They said this car is a beast. They new what the problem was as soon i as i told them what is was doing and the last guy who posted a responce was right it was a fouled up mass air flow sensor from oil from k and n filter. So they are cleaning it up and changing the fouled up plugs. They even cut me a huge break on labor becuse they said they new the owner before he was killed in irac wich is sad by the way. They said he loved this car more than anything in the world and he spent his whole pay each month on car. They said since he had spent so much money at this dealership they would do labor at half price. They said the car was pushing 430 hp so that would explain the 10 mpg i was getting out of car lol. They also said no money was spared when building this motor and car. It had all ford racing parts in the engine and the fan was needed to keep it cooled they said that fan probly robs the hp by about 20 to 30 hp due to the size and pitch and its a direct drive.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 PM
billgates

I will never dog a ford dealership agin nice people who know how to work on cars. And didnt charge me a arm and leg for the repair.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:38 AM
94redGTConv
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by billgates
I will never dog a ford dealership agin nice people who know how to work on cars. And didnt charge me a arm and leg for the repair.
"Thow shall not hate against American muscle unless thow is rice" - 94redGTConv

Posted from MustangForums.com App for Android
Old 12-14-2012, 03:32 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

You want your fuel pressure to be 39 with the vacuum off.

If you have an aftermarket cam and other mods then you can quite possibly need a tune. My current mustang will die as soon as I crank it unless I keep my foot on the gas until it warms up then it idles fine, but surges sometimes though it doesn't die. I know from experience that once I bring it to get it tuned on Jan 4th, this will no longer be a problem. I'm not sure of your setup but your best bet is to get a tune especially if you don't know if you have one on the car or not, because a lot of settings get adjusted at that point. Things like a bad IAC can cause surge as well, and if your TPS is too low it can make it surge to almost die, but what I would do if I were you then I would change the IAC and bring it to get it tuned, from there they can adjust everything and do what needs to be done.