5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

My car takes a while to crank up

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:22 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

so Im sitting here reading this and I see the word prime come up and I got a thought .
A leaky injector or fuel pressure regulator will allow air to get in the fuel rail. When this happens it takes time for the injector to spit out that air before it gets a good solid spray of fuel , just like when you disconnect the garden hose for a while then hook it back up it always spits out a lot of air. Next time it sits for awhile turn the key on for a few seconds to prime it up then turn it off again, and use a key or something to push the valve in on the rail and bleed it out see if you get any air out of it. you should get a squirt of fuel with no air in it. If there is a lot of air in it you have a leak in the fuel system on the rail someplace .
Old 12-12-2012, 01:48 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

It seems to start better when I prime it (turn key on off) a couple times.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:08 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by domindart
I think the plugs and wires are okay.
Did you actually pull a plug? I thought mine were OK until I pulled one yesterday-worn and covered with deposits. Runs much better now.

How about the plug boots and plug connectors? The heat usually gets to that end first.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:16 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rbowmar
Did you actually pull a plug? I thought mine were OK until I pulled one yesterday-worn and covered with deposits. Runs much better now.

How about the plug boots and plug connectors? The heat usually gets to that end first.
Lemme go pull one.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:25 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

Pulled #6 and its is slight grey... looks fine.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

ok, is this occuring when car is cold/hot/..? This will help!!
My problem that i had, "which by the way threw parts at it", had the same problem but it would take about 10-15 long cranks after car would sit for 4-6hrs. It was so bad i went thru 1 good starter kuzz of it..., ended up being my distributor. I had changed the fuel system/ plugs/ wires etc.., what a waste. Do the spark test with a paper clip.., dont remember how but someone will chime in im guessing!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:20 AM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

I had a similar problem...ended up being my fuel pressure regulator. It would crank for about 5 seconds before it started.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by domindart
It seems to start better when I prime it (turn key on off) a couple times.
right here is a big clue what to check!!^^^^^^^ check fuel pressure!! check for leakdown!!! if you can pulse the key 3-4 times and car starts fine then most likely issue there is leakdown occured, grab a gauge and hook to the schredor valve........if it leaks down quick, then likely culprits are FP regulator, leak somewhere in pressure side..inj's, pump check valve, or a line , ect ect
Old 12-13-2012, 04:16 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

Ya, mine takes about 5 seconds to start, cold or hot... sometimes it starts quicker, but normally it takes 4 or 5 secs......

I was told over at STVP that it was the fuel puump or the regullator too... I dont have a gauge to test the fuel pressure. My dad might but its so hard to get help to work on my car these days..

I know the fuel pump is in the tank, where is the fuel pressure regulator located?

Last edited by domindart; 12-13-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Sturm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by StalkerGT
I had a similar problem...ended up being my fuel pressure regulator. It would crank for about 5 seconds before it started.

Was that on cold starts only? I have same problem BUT only on cold starts.....

Quick Reply: My car takes a while to crank up