5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

WOT at start-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Mike T
2nd Gear Member

Default WOT at start-up

1989 with a 5.0. I've been having problems with my car not starting after it reaches operating temp. I replaced the TFI ignition module today on the distributor, plan on relocating it in a heat sink on the firewall when it comes in to get it out of the heat. It started up fine cold so I let the engine warm up and killed it to see what it would do when I tried to restart it. It wouldn't restart of course so I held the gas pedal down just to see what would happen on the third try, still wouldn't start. I left it alone for awhile and went back out there to try it again and it went WOT so I turned the ign. switch back off real quick. I tried it two more times and the same thing happened. I checked the throttle cable and it's not hanging up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:08 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Hmm...............

Well, it's just about impossible to go WOT without the butterfly actually being open, its just not enough air flow. Hard to say on that part. Mayyyybe the IAC.

The startup issue could be the PIP inside the distributor, as it's the #2 part to check for heat related failure.

I'm thinking the whole problem is connected to whatever is causing WOT. Check TPS voltage KOEO after you've verified that the butterfly is not open.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Mike T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
Hmm...............

Well, it's just about impossible to go WOT without the butterfly actually being open, its just not enough air flow. Hard to say on that part. Mayyyybe the IAC.

The startup issue could be the PIP inside the distributor, as it's the #2 part to check for heat related failure.

I'm thinking the whole problem is connected to whatever is causing WOT. Check TPS voltage KOEO after you've verified that the butterfly is not open.
I tried the KOEO(KOER) test and couldn't get any codes but now the engine idles about 1200 rpm's for 4 min. like it does during the test and then idles back down to normal. It does this every time it starts. Runs really good on the road but when I get back home it won't restart. I changed the PIP also last weekend. New IAC also. I've checked and rechecked the TPS voltage.

Last edited by Mike T; 12-18-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Have you checked the fuel pressure at the schrader valve? When you check you should be getting anything from 30-45 psi i believe, (dont quote me i havent had this issue in awhile!) Do this when motor is cold and again when prob occurs! Maybe your gas pump is on its last leg?

Never mind, wrong thread!

Last edited by Js88lx; 12-18-2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: edit
Old 12-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Mike T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Js88lx
Have you checked the fuel pressure at the schrader valve? When you check you should be getting anything from 30-45 psi i believe, (dont quote me i havent had this issue in awhile!) Do this when motor is cold and again when prob occurs! Maybe your gas pump is on its last leg?
I need to check the fuel pressure. Good suggestion.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Mike T
2nd Gear Member

Is there anything else that could be causing this no-start condition? What about it being stuck in this KOER-like phase on start-up, what could be causing this? What about the ECU?

Last edited by Mike T; 12-18-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I cant see the engine going WOT if the butterfly is closed, unless you have one massive vacuum leak. Possibly the iac is stuck wide open or the rod that goes through the butterfly is broken or froze up some how. Maybe a broken spring on the throttle linkage .
Old 12-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Mike T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
I cant see the engine going WOT if the butterfly is closed, unless you have one massive vacuum leak. Possibly the iac is stuck wide open or the rod that goes through the butterfly is broken or froze up some how. Maybe a broken spring on the throttle linkage .
As bad as my luck has been the throttle plate is probably broken and got sucked down the intake.

Last edited by Mike T; 12-18-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Mike T
2nd Gear Member

The WOT issue I think I have enough suggestions to straighten out. I ran out of daylight to check it closer. Maybe when I move the TFI to the firewall, that will fix the no-start condition.

Last edited by Mike T; 12-23-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:12 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

TFI doesn't need to be on the firewall, they last 10 years where they are. If you have that much heatsoak on it, you need a new fan clutch, or you need to redo the electrical jelly **** on the back of the TFI

Quick Reply: WOT at start-up