5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Front window mystery question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:40 PM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

Default Front window mystery question.

Ok , my drivers side window mysteriously stopped working the other day. Before you grill me, I searched...., AND I checked the regulator and its intact, I checked the window motor, and its getting voltage, I checked the switch and its working. .....A day later ...It started working again, perfectly....If the motor was bad, once it stopped working, I would guess thats it, its dead. It works than it doesnt. No loose wires either.... And today, it stopped working again. AND once again, all components intact and getting voltage. Whats happening?

Anyone else go through this? I dont want to just throw parts(money) at this..

HELP.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Seems to want a lift motor.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I am going to say it is the motor. If you are getting voltage to the motor and it is not running, then it is the motor. I have the same problem on my car , with the window being intermittent. When it stops working I smack the door panel in the area where the motor is and wala it works again.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 PM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

What Dragul said. If you smack the door panel in the area of the motor while holding the switch & it starts working, this indicates carbon dust & or moisture on the motor brushes & they're not making good contact with the armature on the motor. This seems to happen more here in the winter, because of less usage due to cold or rainy weather & also due to more moisture in the air. It can also be from always having your windows up in the summer with the AC on. Either case, it's from lack of use, unless the brushes are just flat worn out from "overuse". If you get it to work again, run it up & down 10-15 times in a row. This should help clean the carbon dust off the brushes & help dry any moisture out from the heat from the motor.

Last edited by GT Katie; 01-02-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 PM
94redGTConv
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Katie
What Dragul said. If you smack the door panel in the area of the motor while holding the switch & it starts working, this indicates carbon dust & or moisture on the motor brushes & they're not making good contact with the armature on the motor. This seems to happen more here in the winter, because of less usage due to cold or rainy weather & also due to more moisture in the air. It can also be from always having your windows up in the summer with the AC on. Either case, it's from lack of use, unless the brushes are just flat worn out from "overuse". If you get it to work again, run it up & down 10-15 times in a row. This should help clean the carbon dust off the brushes & help dry any moisture out from the heat from the motor.
tis is true, ghettoish, but it'll stop working

Posted from MustangForums.com App for Android