5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

tuner questions.... new member also

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 AM
jjeffries

Originally Posted by jjeffries
Thanks for the info! I wondered about the mass air and throttle body. That intake and stuff were on it when I got it so I just used them. As for the block I was told it was aftermarket and good for much more power than stock. I have all the receipts from the original owner somewhere. Any recomendations on intakes? I didn't build it to go slow so if I need to make some changes then now is the time. I had the heads flowed and if memory serves me correctly they flowed 192cfm on the intake side. They were pretty extensively worked over and the machine shop that flowed them told me I was plenty good for that cam and to feed the stroker. I'm glad I asked now. Ida been pissed if I would have gone to the dyno and found out I needed to make changes like this. I'm near hagerstown. Thanks again for the info!
192cc of volume that is. I hate auto correct.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:33 AM
jjeffries

Thanks for the reply, I had the heads flowed after they were ported to match all the volumes and they all flow 192cfm. I worked at a machine shop that builds outlaw sprint car engines and that was my job, to port the stack injection manifold and cylinder heads that we didn't have Cnc ported. Comes in handy sometimes. New heads weren't in the budget and having access to a super flow flow bench it just kinda made sense to use them. Thanks again!
192 cc that is. I hate auto correct
Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 AM
jjeffries

Originally Posted by mjr46
they are the last place I'd take it too, if you can drive just over the md/pa line, Dave Guy at DGR would be the first place I'd go to, his price Imo is reasonable and he knows his stuff.
Thanks for the info! Ill check him out. I only picked mpc because I know George and have a history with him an I trust him. Ill Definatly give dgr a call after I get the hard parts right. Sounds like I have some changes to make here and that's ok. That's why I asked. Thanks again
Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Thanks for the info! Ill check him out. I only picked mpc because I know George and have a history with him an I trust him. Ill Definatly give dgr a call after I get the hard parts right. Sounds like I have some changes to make here and that's ok. That's why I asked. Thanks again
holley systemax is a good match, that is reworked/ ported and opening taylored to a bigger tb, I use accufab tb's and pro-m mafs with really good results, best thing to do is get a dyno base pull to see where you are at and rework from there if you are unhappy with results or you could just run my stroker and compare ......., but furthermore is if the car is already together, when Masondixon REOPENS in the early spring is go run it and see what it can do, that way you'll know where the combo needs to be improved, do the heads have 2.02/ 1.60 valves??? and Hagerstown ehh?? I'm in Frederick .... small world as for aftermarket block...there was no gt-40, they had b-50 sportsman blocks back in the day , now discontinued that had a little thicker webbing and then there are dart, world products and boss blocks which all cost a pretty penny, any pics of the block or ID that it is an aftermarket??? I pass mpc on the way home every day, I have a s/c vert that Dgr will soon tune once I get the meth kit on it, I'm goona just do the chip tune thing, while I have extensive knowledge on the subject, I just don't have time at this point in my life to play with a tuner for the learning curve it requires.

Last edited by mjr46; 01-15-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 PM
reldla1996
2nd Gear Member

I went with the Holley Systemax on mine, with 80mm TB, 90mm MA, 42# injectors, AFR 185 comp heads, 223/227 .610 lift cam, 1.875 Kooks headers (with 3" exhaust manifold bolt spacing), and 3" exhaust. Used an SCT chip and made 425 rwhp and 425 rwtq. Cam is relatively mild, and the exhaust, especially the headers, is a little big.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the reply, I had the heads flowed after they were ported to match all the volumes and they all flow 192cfm. I worked at a machine shop that builds outlaw sprint car engines and that was my job, to port the stack injection manifold and cylinder heads that we didn't have Cnc ported. Comes in handy sometimes. New heads weren't in the budget and having access to a super flow flow bench it just kinda made sense to use them. Thanks again!
I was making referance to a volume, not a flow.
If you are seeing 192 CFM thats about 75-100CFM short of where you need to be to really make power with a 347 type engine no matter what the tune...........