5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

tuner questions.... new member also

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 PM
jjeffries

Default tuner questions.... new member also

hello everyone! i am new to the forum here and looking for your input on a tuner question. I have a 91 lx with a gt40 block, stroked to 347 ( scat internals) probe forged flat tops, ported and polished gt40x heads, gt40 intake ported and port matched, trick flow stage3 cam, msd ignition and distributor (pro billett), 24lb/hr motorsports injectors, 75mm mass air and throttle body, motorsports 1.6 roller rockers, built aod with a 3500 converter, 3.73 rear, griggs racing front suspension (all of it. k member, arms, koni coilovers, quick ratio rack, bumpsteer kit, rear torque arm, griggs lower control arms, adjustable coil overs, upper arms eliminated, 8 point cage, welded subframe connectors, cobra brake kit, baer rear disk kit. think thats the just of it. it had a stock gt40 longblock when i bought it. I built the stroker, changed cam, put the msd on it, did all the port work, and its back together now. I need to get a tuner. looking at either tweecer or maybe megasquirt but i know NOTHING about them. I have tuning experience with dynojet software and am a professional technician of 17 years with lots of efi diagnostic experience and understanding. i just dont know anything about these dfi systems and there reputations so i am trying to do my homework before i lean burn the major investment of my new powerplant. so any suggestions, comments, advice, ect. also i am wondering if my injectors are big enough? thanks for your input and taking the time to read this.
keep em between the lines!
john
hope im in the right place this time. posted this in the new members area by mistake. oops...
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 PM
reldla1996
2nd Gear Member

I like the sounds of your suspension - that sounds fun! 24 pound injectors sound really light to me, and 30 pounds is probably not enough either. I tuned mine the easy way, which was to take to a tuner who tuned it on a dyno....
Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 PM
nightcrawler52
2nd Gear Member

I have heard the Tweecer is the best tuner for the money, and the PMS is expensive but better user friendly. I have the SCT Chip, but it's perfect for me because I only have a few bolt ons and a stock long block.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 PM
jjeffries

Originally Posted by reldla1996
I like the sounds of your suspension - that sounds fun! 24 pound injectors sound really light to me, and 30 pounds is probably not enough either. I tuned mine the easy way, which was to take to a tuner who tuned it on a dyno....
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinkin of puttin 42 lb injectors in it to be safe. It's a fun car. Sticks to the road like glue. Guy I bought it from was a road racer. It had a very strong top end before the stroker and other mods. It would bury the 140 speedo in a hurry and keep gettin it. Stops good too. Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 PM
jjeffries

Originally Posted by nightcrawler52
I have heard the Tweecer is the best tuner for the money, and the PMS is expensive but better user friendly. I have the SCT Chip, but it's perfect for me because I only have a few bolt ons and a stock long block.
I'm leaning that way or just taking it to the place I trust the most around here and have it dyno tuned. Maryland performance center charges big bucks for it but I know the owner and their the best around here. Have to weigh my options. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

no such thing as a gt-40 block, unless it's an aftermarket block it's just a stock roller block, as for combo as stated, mass air is small, inj's are small as well as head and intake choice are more geared towards 302 parts, but it's what you have so you'll have to make the best of it. I'd be running between a 80-90 mm maf as well as TB, however your intake choice has limited that option, so use what you got now, for tuner options, go with a moates quarterhorse, it'll be more user friendly than a tweecer or megasquirt and try eectuning.org for help on navigating the tables of the tuner and or base tunes to work off of. and where in MD are you??
Old 01-14-2013, 11:17 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Just my opinion but if you don't have at least 180cc of intake port (you probably don't) you are not getting anywhere hear what you should be getting for power out of that 347, never mind the injector sizes...........
Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by jjeffries
I'm leaning that way or just taking it to the place I trust the most around here and have it dyno tuned. Maryland performance center charges big bucks for it but I know the owner and their the best around here. Have to weigh my options. Thanks for the info!
they are the last place I'd take it too, if you can drive just over the md/pa line, Dave Guy at DGR would be the first place I'd go to, his price Imo is reasonable and he knows his stuff.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 AM
jjeffries

Originally Posted by mjr46
no such thing as a gt-40 block, unless it's an aftermarket block it's just a stock roller block, as for combo as stated, mass air is small, inj's are small as well as head and intake choice are more geared towards 302 parts, but it's what you have so you'll have to make the best of it. I'd be running between a 80-90 mm maf as well as TB, however your intake choice has limited that option, so use what you got now, for tuner options, go with a moates quarterhorse, it'll be more user friendly than a tweecer or megasquirt and try eectuning.org for help on navigating the tables of the tuner and or base tunes to work off of. and where in MD are you??
Thanks for the info! I wondered about the mass air and throttle body. That intake and stuff were on it when I got it so I just used them. As for the block I was told it was aftermarket and good for much more power than stock. I have all the receipts from the original owner somewhere. Any recomendations on intakes? I didn't build it to go slow so if I need to make some changes then now is the time. I had the heads flowed and if memory serves me correctly they flowed 192cfm on the intake side. They were pretty extensively worked over and the machine shop that flowed them told me I was plenty good for that cam and to feed the stroker. I'm glad I asked now. Ida been pissed if I would have gone to the dyno and found out I needed to make changes like this. I'm near hagerstown. Thanks again for the info!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 AM
jjeffries

Originally Posted by tinman
Just my opinion but if you don't have at least 180cc of intake port (you probably don't) you are not getting anywhere hear what you should be getting for power out of that 347, never mind the injector sizes...........
Thanks for the reply, I had the heads flowed after they were ported to match all the volumes and they all flow 192cfm. I worked at a machine shop that builds outlaw sprint car engines and that was my job, to port the stack injection manifold and cylinder heads that we didn't have Cnc ported. Comes in handy sometimes. New heads weren't in the budget and having access to a super flow flow bench it just kinda made sense to use them. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: tuner questions.... new member also