5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Removing Heads- Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 04:02 PM
AAX86
1st Gear Member

Default Removing Heads- Any tips?

I need to take my heads off to get the intake sides resurfaced cause i can't get my intake to seal.

Am i gonna have any problems or is it pretty straight-forward?
Any other tips are also appreciated

This is on a stock '86 so it's the crappy E6 heads
Old 01-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Its pretty straight forward. Stock heads use bolts, so the only thing really holding it on at that point are the locating dowels. Use the rocker arms as like a handle to lift the heads off

Once theyre off, i suggest finding the nearest large body of water and watch them make a big splash.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM
AAX86
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
Its pretty straight forward. Stock heads use bolts, so the only thing really holding it on at that point are the locating dowels. Use the rocker arms as like a handle to lift the heads off

Once theyre off, i suggest finding the nearest large body of water and watch them make a big splash.
Trust me, if i could bolt on any other heads i would. But Twisted Wedges are the only aftermarket heads that work with the '86 pistons and i don't have an extra $1500 laying around so i'm stuck with E6's for now. I don't even think i can use E7s.

Can i get any serious answers?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Mike T
2nd Gear Member

Just like Duncan GT said it's very straight forward. I've been working around cars all my life and it's news to me that you would shave the intake side of the heads to stop an intake leak. I would think that the intake would need shaving not the heads.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AAX86
Can i get any serious answers?
That was a serious answer
Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

why dont you go to a pull a part place and get some gt40s from a 96-97.5 explorer and just bolt them on instead of spending money on getting your stock head machined?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:55 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Is there some kind of obvious damage to the intake mating surface?

If your having trouble getting the intake to seal , I suggest using a bit of rtv super black on the gasket . Also if your not using at least 2 studs on each side its possable your moving the gasket when you drop the intake on. Also when torquing the intake down start at the center on both sides and work out toward the ends.

If ther is no visable damage to the heads then they are not your problem.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:02 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
why dont you go to a pull a part place and get some gt40s from a 96-97.5 explorer and just bolt them on instead of spending money on getting your stock head machined?
Good advice...its not worth tearing it down that far to put stock heads back on. When you remove everything, take some pictures along the way to make installation easier.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:35 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Is there some kind of obvious damage to the intake mating surface?

If your having trouble getting the intake to seal , I suggest using a bit of rtv super black on the gasket . Also if your not using at least 2 studs on each side its possable your moving the gasket when you drop the intake on. Also when torquing the intake down start at the center on both sides and work out toward the ends.

If ther is no visable damage to the heads then they are not your problem.
This is the smartest thing I've read in this thread. A little gasket sealant goes a long way.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:50 PM
AAX86
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
That was a serious answer
Oh my bad. I thought the whole post was sarcastic.

Rmodel65: The '86 has flat top pistons so just about every other head (E7's & Gt40's included) won't work. Only Twisted wedges bolt on. Guy that sold me the car claimed it had a 1990 5.0 in it but the casting numbers said otherwise. Never trust people

Dawson: Other than little pits around the coolant ports, no. I've tried sealing it 6 or so times now and it just won't work no matter what i try. I already tried ultra black and the "right stuff" around the coolant ports, and 3m super yellow. I have this insanely sticky Permatex Aviation sealant but i wasn't sure if i should try it or not. I haven't been using studs, i've just been using the 2 front bolts on the intake to kinda guide it.

I don't know what else there is to try if resurfacing won't get it sealed. I've been using the right torque sequence and all that other stuff and i just can't get it to seal. Liquid coolant literally sprays out the passenger side tailpipe a couple feet when i rev the engine.

Quick Reply: Removing Heads- Any tips?