5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1991 Mustang GT Exterior Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:57 PM
eclypticz

Question 1991 Mustang GT Exterior Light Problem

This has nothing to do with beating a dead horse (my pony is still farting rainbows on a daily basis).

Anyway! I just added a relay to my 91 GT to get the fog lights working and the final obstacles in my way of having the parking lights working right are my inner corner lights. (What are the proper names of all of my front lights anyway?)

These inner lights don't come on ONLY when I hit the headlight switch; they come on when I hit the blinker switches and when I hit the flasher switch. Should I just get new bulbs, or is there a way to add them to my fog light relay ()?
Old 02-12-2013, 03:29 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Bulbs aren't the problem. I assume you used this to do the relay fix. Sounds like it's not wired properly. Recheck.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:23 PM
eclypticz

Default Been there

Rechecked. Perhaps someone with useful advice could respond? You have no idea, the crawling around with a multimeter I've done with this car.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:26 PM
eclypticz

To clarify; this was a problem BEFORE I solved the fog light issue. I've touched nothing concerning these inner lights.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

OK then... Whats your continuity from the headlight switch brown wire to the inner bulbs brown wire? I should also clarify that it is 99.9% impossible for the inner half of the lights to be out on both ends of the vehicle, so please check the rear and clarify that point, as well.

If your continuity between those 2 points is off(should be quite low, not open or ground), you want to check splice #118, located in the dash panel to headlamp junction harness, near the tape out to the ground that runs out to the left fender. There's a splice and a connector before the one you're looking for, you'll likely need to pull the dash. I can provide a graphical step-by-step of that if you need it.

Last edited by mattdel; 02-12-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:52 AM
eclypticz

Smile

Thanks! That would be very cool if you could. If the splice connector you're referring to is the one I've tested, it's the one over the left wheel well, where I almost have to take out the battery to get to it.

I am about to test the continuity of the brown wire from the headlight switch to the inner corner lights. I don't really have any color references for my wiring (I can't find a sure fire reference, and Chilton's manual is yet again useless), so I depend on my multimeter.

My thoughts are, the problem is likely where the wires from the headlight harness wires meet the flasher and blinker...splice(?). It sucks because those lights are getting power when I hit the flasher, and they flash when I hit the blinkers.

I have the black trim around the gauges removed and the wires from the switches are hanging out but I notice the wires from the light switch are going in by the ac vent... I hope I don't have to go in there, but I'm willing to do what it takes.

Thank you for your help!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 AM
eclypticz

Lightbulb

I know what it is. It's more simple than you or I thought... Note the top wire in the bulb. Guess which one my bulbs are missing? I will test this out as soon as I can get my hands on some this morning.

Continuity is great and voltage is great. It didn't make any sense and I couldn't tell for sure if the bulbs were out because I've never dealt with bulbs like these.

Thank you for your help, Mattdel. If you hadn't nudged me to test those wires, I wouldn't have come to this conclusion as fast.

I sincerely hope the solution is this simple; it means I don't have to further dissect my dash, I can complete my fog light repair (permanent, sound-fix), and FINALLY put my car back together!
Attached Thumbnails 1991 Mustang GT Exterior Light Problem-bulb.png  
Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Hmm.. I woulda sworn the front bulbs were single filament. My problem is I haven't actually owned a fox in 5 years..

Glad it's worked out.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 AM
eclypticz

Default Working Great :)

Attached Thumbnails 1991 Mustang GT Exterior Light Problem-mine.jpg  
Old 06-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Daniel Bente

Double filament front and singles in back.