5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Philthy Harding

Default HELP!!!!!

i am currently working on getting my GT running after a few years sit, and the current problem i am facing now is i have no power at the key switch. little background info for you guys... i relocated the battery to the hatch area due to the fact that whatever mounting devices i was using in the past in the engine compartment kept breaking, which would cause the battery to fall over on my power steering lines and rub against the belt. i connected the battery in the same manner as the old lines had ben connected, when i opened the door i was greeted by the ding letting me know my key was in the ignition. i turned the key to the power position, checked to see if i had power to lights, wipers and such... proceeded to press the clutch down and turn key to crank over the engine and nothing happened. lost my power somehow, no lights, wipers, no dinging from the door being open. nothing. what could be my problem. i checked fuses on the block and all are good.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Philthy Harding
i am currently working on getting my GT running after a few years sit, and the current problem i am facing now is i have no power at the key switch. little background info for you guys... i relocated the battery to the hatch area due to the fact that whatever mounting devices i was using in the past in the engine compartment kept breaking, which would cause the battery to fall over on my power steering lines and rub against the belt. i connected the battery in the same manner as the old lines had ben connected, when i opened the door i was greeted by the ding letting me know my key was in the ignition. i turned the key to the power position, checked to see if i had power to lights, wipers and such... proceeded to press the clutch down and turn key to crank over the engine and nothing happened. lost my power somehow, no lights, wipers, no dinging from the door being open. nothing. what could be my problem. i checked fuses on the block and all are good.
Check your battery connections, they may be loose or have some corrosion.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Yep, dirty connections can be good enough for lights and dings but as soon as that starter begs for juice it's not enough.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Philthy Harding

thats what these auto parts stores keep telling me. but the the ting is the battery is clean and fresh off the charger(possible problem right there?) and the connectors and wires are brand new out of the box. im not an electrical genius so this is beyond me. i just dont understand how i have absolutely nothing anymore. not even a weak ding or lights...
Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

thats what these auto parts stores keep telling me. but the the ting is the battery is clean and fresh off the charger(possible problem right there?) and the connectors and wires are brand new out of the box. im not an electrical genius so this is beyond me. i just dont understand how i have absolutely nothing anymore. not even a weak ding or lights...
Try disconnecting the terminals and reconnecting them, making sure to tighten them well. Sometimes, you can put on a terminal upside down to make it grip the post tighter. Also, how did you extend the battery connections from the engine compartment to the trunk? Are those connections secure?

Last edited by edwin108; 02-21-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added question
Old 02-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Philthy Harding

ill give that a try, but what boggles my mind is i have absolutely nothing. one would think that even if the connections were loose wouldntyou still get some kind of weak signals? maybe im over thinking it or im just being retarded about all this. lol
Old 02-21-2013, 01:10 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you have a bad ground, where is the ground going to in the trunk? to the body?? you need to have the motor grounded to the body as well, or simple solution is you have a bad ground, did you scuff the paint up when installing ground??
Old 02-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Philthy Harding

Originally Posted by mjr46
you have a bad ground, where is the ground going to in the trunk? to the body?? you need to have the motor grounded to the body as well, or simple solution is you have a bad ground, did you scuff the paint up when installing ground??
i grounded the nag cable to one of the nuts and bolts that hold the taillight assembly's to the body. didn't scuff or anything. just boted it down. so ill go try that but i also need the motor grounded to the frame? ill have to see if it is grounded.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

You need something bigger than that to ground to as well as it needs to be to clean metal.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

i grounded the nag cable to one of the nuts and bolts that hold the taillight assembly's to the body. didn't scuff or anything. just boted it down. so ill go try that but i also need the motor grounded to the frame? ill have to see if it is grounded.
take that ground and move it to a solid scuffed up place on the body.