5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Transmission / Miss help (Two separate issues, detailed)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Bubba2294

Default Transmission / Miss help (Two separate issues, detailed)

Okay..I'm new around here..browsed the forums and searched around for quite a while looking for someone with a similar issue to mine with no avail. My dad's been a Mustang guy for quite some time but i literally can't get a straight answer out of him.

I'm OKAY when it comes to working on things, I can do most mechanical things I just have to be taught how to do them or have a step by step guide telling me how to do it..

Car Info:
Year/Model: 95 GT
Transmission: Automatic (AODE I believe)
Modifications/Things Done Recently: [list][*] New MSD distributor cap/rotor. [*] New plugs/wires[*] Exhaust (poorly done by the previous owner..but that's just me being picky)[*] New Alternator

ISSUE #1

This is the biggest issue to me..The transmission..

Okay..when firing the car up and driving around it's completely fine. It shifts and kinda lugs a bit, but hey from what I've heard that's how mustang's usually are.. You can pull up to a stop sign, dump your foot into it and the car will bolt off. After about an hour of driving it, maybe less really, the problems begin to arise. As I go to dump my foot into it (love hearing that motor..)..the transmission will "slip" (don't know if that's the right word or not)...The RPM's will go up to about 4 grand and fall back down. On the descent of the RPM's the car jumps back into gear and screeches the tires. I've seen a few posts stating it could be a sensor on the exterior of the tranny or something like that... like a manual position something. I haven't done anything to try to fix the problem. Daily driving isn't a problem, I can usually romp it after it slips out and is off the line and it'll perform like a champ.

Things I have done:
  • Checked tranny fluid (dad looked at it too), it's not burnt or terrible looking, it seems as if it's fine.
  • Been quite a bit easier on it...

My dad thought it could possibly be the U-Joints until I mentioned the whole slipping out thing happening really bad.

I hope I included enough information in that...I'm able to take a video of it if it'd help someone diagnose it a bit better!

Issue #2

This one isn't really THAT big of a deal but it drives me absolutely INSANE!!!

So when I first got this car a few weeks ago it had a little bit of a miss to it and really hesitated to go above 2k RPM in higher gears unless you gave it quite a bit of gas. meh, not too bad, just a little bit of a misfire once in a while. Dad and a few other people told me plugs/wires/distributor cap&rotor would most likely solve my issue. I did that this weekend. When I changed them...the car ran SO MUCH BETTER! After each spark plug I would start the car back up and ensure that I had the firing order right and all that. After finishing the job I took the car out for a test drive. Low and behold the car ran fine. It would EASILY cruise right past the 2k RPM mark without trying to give it any more gas. After letting the car turn off and cool down and warm back up the problem is back. This is my daily drive so I'm pretty used to it..it isn't a huge problem but it bothers me! It still tries to lug going above 2k RPM even in first gear unless you give it more gas. It wants to kind of sit there at 2k. and sometimes when it gets past it it'll surge a bit, it'll go up to around 2300 and go back down to 2100. Not a huge significant thing to notice but when you drive it every day you notice these little things..

I kinda rambled on there lol sorry. Hopefully someone out there can share their knowledge with me and I can get this beautiful car running perfect and start adding some mods!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Jabtyson34

Try cleaning your IAC valve on the throttle body. Take it off and spray it out with brake or carb cleaner. Also check your vacuum lines to see if they're in good shape. As for the tranny, sounds like the clutch packs are slipping and it may need a rebuild soon...
Old 03-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Bubba2294

The clutch packs seems to make sense. My newest issue is the tranny slipping out of gear in higher RPM's...Around 4.5k RPM it likes to slip out of gear and rev waaaaay too high. We're getting another tranny and building it while I'm (somehow) grannying this tranny. It sucks, but it's what I have to do. lol