5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

White smoke coming from exhaust and I've exhausted ALL FORUMS!!! Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 04:41 AM
94prochargedbeast

Default White smoke coming from exhaust and I've exhausted ALL FORUMS!!! Please Help!!!

Alright so I've been noticing white semi thick smoke coming from my exhaust. It's a 94 5.0 mustang, procharged running 10psi (oil cooled), bbk 70mm throttle body, svt ported and polished intake manifold, msd ignition, titanium rockers, cobra fuel injectors with upgraded fuel pump and regulator, svt fuel rails, gt40 heads, hooker headers to x pipe to magnaflow mufflers.

So when I accelerate hard past 3k white-ish smoke rolls out from the back of the car and let's up when I'm below the 3k range. After driven for a little while and at idle small amounts of smoke comes out exhaust steadily and I'm sick so I can't really get a good smell from it. I've read that it could be the head gasket, ruled out through radiator block test for carbon monoxide and checked EACH spark plug and all are brown with a little black, very little as I know it's tuned to run a little rich. Oil is not milkshake like but a retarded shop changed my oil and didn't remove both drain plugs and way overfilled my oil. They fixed it but for awhile after I was leaking oil, maybe like 3 tablespoons full enough to make a 10in oil stain every time it was parked after driven anywhere. I just had the magnaflows put on the same day I noticed the smoke starting. Now I'm not noticing any oil on the ground and the dipstick looks like where the oil should be, I'm guessing the oil leakage was just from it being too full still, but maybe it has to do with the exhaust smoking now???

Now this is the WEIRD PART, my pass header gasket is leaking enough to that I should be seeing the smoke come from the leak if its coolant or oil( granted its that side that is the problem) when I look at the slip joint where the x pipe meets the mufflers, being a new connection still, white smoke is coming from there which is before the muffler and the smoke is coming after the muffler out the tailpipe.(ruling out its the mufflers???) also my coolant level is great, no overheating, and oil seems to be holding steady....I think.

With that novel said, lol, if its not oil, coolant or pcv fitting(already checked) what the hell could be causing the smoke to be appearing??? I'm going to do a compression test just to be redundant and cover everything.

If your thinking condensation, the smoke seems to linger like oil smoke would do. Maybe it has a blueish tint to it, if it does it's really hard to tell. I'm stumped and don't want to tear into it yet and cause a problem I didn't have lol.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Mike T
2nd Gear Member

Automatic or standard transmission?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:49 PM
94ford5liter
4th Gear Member

Sounds like it could still be a head gasket leak that is only leaking under high pressure or you may have a ring issue if it has a blue tint to it. I'd definitely run a compression test on it.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:37 AM
REDNECK1985

I blow up alot of motors. Not something to be proud of i know but it sure is fun up until then. Smoke at high rpms tells me rings. If u drive anything like i do thats not too far fetched. How many miles on the car? Re-built? Bored? Also if u smoke when u let off the gas like rolling down hill in gear that would tell me valve guide seals. The back pressure will cause oil to get passed them if there getting bad.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

EGR spacer gasket.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:49 AM
94prochargedbeast

Default Found The Problem..NOW HAVE ANOTHER

So it ended up being a transmission fluid leaking into my exhaust pipes when the car was off through the x-pipe connection to the mufflers and most of the smoke was coming from the waterfall of tranny fluid onto the mufflers themselves.

Now the timing seems to be off. I replaced the transmission with a salvaged 94 gt mustang....exactly the same as mine. Funny this is now my speedo is way off, 0-40 is 10mph slow meaning I'm doing 50 but speedo shows 40. 40-75 is about 12-17mph off and shows 85 on speedo but doing 115mph actually. Lol so anyways the owner of the previous mustang obviously changed the speedo gear on the input shaft. This leads me to beleive the gears inside might be changed too. There was a tri-ax short shifter insralled as well.

So my question is this would a different gear setup affect the timing to were it feels like a cylinder doesn't fire quite right? I mainly feel the very brief lapse in power when past 4500rpms when the power cuts out but its never consistent. My rpm needle bounces down about 500rpm everytime it cuts out but picks it back up again real quick.

Before when the old trans was leaking it never had a timing issue, installed new trans and starts cutting out like I was saying. I don't get what could be happening to cause it. Going to replace the plugs and make sure there gapped correctly. Besides different gear ratios that I guess could cause it I'm confussed.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:34 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 94prochargedbeast
So it ended up being a transmission fluid leaking into my exhaust pipes when the car was off through the x-pipe connection to the mufflers and most of the smoke was coming from the waterfall of tranny fluid onto the mufflers themselves.

If that was the case, then it should of been leaving puddles of fluid on the ground and been a no brainer, I'm truly at a loss for words............
Old 03-27-2013, 11:43 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

so anyways the owner of the previous mustang obviously changed the speedo gear on the input shaft. This leads me to beleive the gears inside might be changed too..
there is no speedo gear on the tranny input shaft, only a gear on the output shafts and a driven gear on the speedometer drive assembly. Check your old tranny and see what color gear is on the output shaft vs the new/used unit.
So my question is this would a different gear setup affect the timing to were it feels like a cylinder doesn't fire quite right? .
no.. double check your install and all sensor connections and make sure you didn't knock something loose......also correct speedometer issue, it may resolve the whole prob as speedsensor plays some input in efi management.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 PM
94prochargedbeast

Originally Posted by mjr46
If that was the case, then it should of been leaving puddles of fluid on the ground and been a no brainer, I'm truly at a loss for words............
Yes I know it sounds like it but this car is still new to me and I was just trying to cover all the bases to be sure and not assume anything. Most of the tranny fluid was being burnt off didnt leak mostly till it was in higher gears
Old 03-27-2013, 06:06 PM
94prochargedbeast

Originally Posted by mjr46
no.. double check your install and all sensor connections and make sure you didn't knock something loose......also correct speedometer issue, it may resolve the whole prob as speedsensor plays some input in efi management.
I will check the speed sensor, swear i made sure it went in nice an snug. there is also a round ruber flat plug with two holes that plug into the side of the trans. What is this plug for? It looks like the plug can go both rightside up and vise-versa depending on the right way.

Quick Reply: White smoke coming from exhaust and I've exhausted ALL FORUMS!!! Please Help!!!