5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Just purchased 1995 Steeda 5.0L-rocker and driveability issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Colinsdad

Unhappy Just purchased 1995 Steeda 5.0L-rocker and driveability issues

Hey Guys-
After a 20 year gap, my son and I picked up a 1995 Steeda Mustang GT. Its a Florida car that is super straight and clean, with no body rot. We bought this as a project car we can drive around in for a bit while we build up money for this project. However, it seems as though this project is off to a rough start.

First of all, on the way home, the odometer stopped working- it has aftermarket guages, and, the dealer I purchased it from had no further info on who did the install, maintenance or anything else. I also contacted Steeda with the vin and dash plaque #'s, and, all they could verify was that it was indeed a Steeda- but, past that, they had no further info. So, we drove it back today, and, about 3/4 of the way through our trip, I can hear what I can only describe as rocker noise on the passenger side. Not only that, the idle hangs at 1500rpm and wont drop below 1000 revs. My biggest concern is that this was a previously supercharged car, and that I have little or no clue as to what condition the internals are in.

All I can say is, the car drives great, brakes , corners and handles quite well for an 18 year old car! My only concern is that we may have bitten off more than we can chew with this car. I'm having teh car trailered to a tuner I know in Sterling, MA, so that they can at least pull off the valve cover to take a look at the rocker. I stopped by and talked to a local ASE Ford mech my son knows who took a listen and immediately said "Well, Steeda DID sell 5.0L's with roller rockers- it sounds as though one of them is exceedingly loose or may be missing the roller rocker entirely."

Since its been YEARS since I've worked on one of these motors, what is the worst case scenario for this rocker arm? I'm also aware that the timing is quite a bit off, along with a grauchy synchro in 2nd (big shock-lol), along with really crappy power delivery. I have no codes to read, as I havent had it read.

Anyone have any thoughts on this car? Worst case, whats a new crate motor go for? Thanks very much in advance!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

How can you say it drives great but then has poor power delivery? Are you doing all of the work to it yourself? If so, i wouldnt have towed in, just pull the cover yourself and take a look. It could also be a collapsed/failing lifter.

As far as the idle, it could be the typical IAC motor problem or you have a vacuum leak somewhere. You can take a spray bottle and spray over the engine bay in the suspected spots. If you spray and the idle bogs, then you've narrowed down where the leak could be. Just dont go over board with the spray bottle

Last edited by Duncan_GT; 03-29-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Colinsdad

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
How can you say it drives great but then has poor power delivery? Are you doing all of the work to it yourself? If so, i wouldnt have towed in, just pull the cover yourself and take a look. It could also be a collapsed/failing lifter.

As far as the idle, it could be the typical IAC motor problem or you have a vacuum leak somewhere. You can take a spray bottle and spray over the engine bay in the suspected spots. If you spray and the idle bogs, then you've narrowed down where the leak could be. Just dont go over board with the spray bottle
When I said it drives great, I mean theres no steering, handling or braking issues, and it just rides well.

I'm not going to be doing the work myself for the simple fact that my ex-wife sold off my tools before she bailed (I was in the USAF at the time and wasnt ANYWHERE NEAR home), so, I'm just starting to build my rollaway back up. In fact, I'm online now looking up Shop Manuals on PDF. The more I hear it, the more it sounds like a collapsed lifter.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:35 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Awesome find. That is a rare car and one to be proud of having. What number is it? I might be able to poke around a bit and find more info for you.

Please post pics of it.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:09 PM
Colinsdad

Lil, Thank You for your reply- the dash tag # is95-0010. Any info you can find would be appreciated. I've always had a thing for Steedas, Saleens, Roush's, etc. I know this car is going to be a work in progress. I knew that going in, but, this car has potential- at least the body is straight and rust free, which is hard to find in New England for reasonable money.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:56 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Pics???
Old 03-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Colinsdad

Thumbs up Pics

As per your requests (I'll have to take pics of the engine bay):

Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 PM
Colinsdad

Thumbs up Better pics

Old 03-30-2013, 07:18 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Once you get it running right, that thing is begging for the full Steeda exterior treatment (wing, wheels, hood, sidewinder stripes...).
Old 03-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

That car looks real clean, I like the wheels on it. Anyways, I would maybe look into the things I suggested. It should be an easy fix either way.

- Also, that sucks about your tools. Lolol