5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Foxbody 5.0 swap into New Edge

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

This is were I go and its pretty cheap.
http://www.upullandpay.com
Old 04-03-2013, 01:42 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

sweet. thanks bud
Old 04-03-2013, 02:11 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

no problem. And always look at all the cars therewith comparable parts as you will sometimes find some aftermarket parts. Like Im sure the 01 bullitt they have isnt still 100% stock and even if it is thats an upgraded 4.6 intake.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

if you want to build a terminator clone i have a set of gauges for sell!! see sig
Old 04-03-2013, 06:00 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

lol thanks rmodel...
Old 04-03-2013, 06:08 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTstangB.F.D.M.
appreciate all the feed back..

lucky for me, i dont give a flying dick about emissions testing as FL doesnt do it. thank god...
You might want to. Being that it's not a street legal swap in any of the US states, if your insurance finds out, they have the right not to cover you and slap you with a nice little thing called insurance fraud. It happens. I've seen it.
AND even though there is no inspection here, they can still nail you for the lack of pollution control if they pull you over for anything else. Again, it happens. I've seen it.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

i wont disagree that possibilities are always there.. however, as far as being illegal for motor swap?.. how is that illegal? whats the difference between that and putting a crate motor in, or a junk yard motor? or building a rat rod? please explain.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:05 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Being that it's not a street legal swap in any of the US states, if your insurance finds out, they have the right not to cover you and slap you with a nice little thing called insurance fraud. .
Again show me the state statute or federal statute. If there isnt a statute on it then they cant do anything. You keep saying its illegal yet wont/cant prove your source.

And how is it fraud? its no different than doing a 5.0L swap into a 4cyl car. If he insures it without telling them it is a motor swap and something happens then he only gets a check for a v6 car and he loses out. Otherwise he can tell them and they adjust the rate and its insured for what it actually is.

It would be like me telling my insurance company that I want to insure my 4cyl for $25,000. They would adjust my premiums to reflect that and if something happened I would get $25,000. Is that Fraud cause they paid me WAAAAAYYYYYY more than the car is worth . No , thats what it was insured as.

Im sure if something happened to your roush they would only write a check for the value of a regular GT of the same year/condition unless you sat down and insured it as a specialty vehicle with an agreed upon value, cause afterall, if you run the vin its "just a mustang GT"

Last edited by PNYXPRESS; 04-03-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:58 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTstangB.F.D.M.
i wont disagree that possibilities are always there.. however, as far as being illegal for motor swap?.. how is that illegal? whats the difference between that and putting a crate motor in, or a junk yard motor? or building a rat rod? please explain.
Because you would be building that engine to meet the smog requirements of that body, and a rat rod is a whole different ball game, those get listed as some special titled vehicle mumbo jumbo and are subject to different smog regulations.

Swapping a motor isn't illegal, it's all down to the age of the motor in relation to the age of the car. It's illegal to put a motor in a car that does not meet the smog regulations of the year model of the body.

You could take the new 5.0 coyote and put it in a 92 GT and that would be completely legal because the smog regulations for the 92 are way behind the coyote, it passes them with flying colors, but you aren't supposed to do the opposite and put the 5.0 302 into the 2013 body because the motor does not meet the smog regulations for the year the car was manufactured.

The roush/gt thing is irrelevant. If you insure your car as a 4/6 cyl, and actually have an 8 in it and have an accident, then they can deny your insurance and sue you for fraud. Not saying its GOING to happen but that's not something I would take the risk of.

Otherwise everyone with a big v8 car/truck would be claiming they have a 4 cyl for cheaper insurance. That's the reason they have rules against it that you sign for when you agree to an insurance policy.

Prices are more expensive the bigger the engine for a reason.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

He's right. The smog law falls into the same category as cat's. Since 1973, it has been illegal, in all 50 states, to run a car without cats. Doesn't matter if your state tests or not. People still run without them, but it's a $10k fine per cat removed. Same applies to engines and rated standard emissions.

Last edited by mattdel; 04-03-2013 at 11:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Foxbody 5.0 swap into New Edge