5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Foxbody 5.0 swap into New Edge

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 AM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

Thumbs up Foxbody 5.0 swap into New Edge

so... like the title says.. has anyone seen a write up on this? would there be any issues? any insight?

always wanted to build a bad *** 00-04 cobra. and obviously im not gunna spend 15-20k on a cobra to tear it apart... so thought about taking my 5.0 and T5, along with a few other things like my buckets and what not and putting it into a salvage titled, or POS 6 banger new edge, and put cobra bumpers, hood, etc... and send it to paint!

figure i could have a built 5.0 new edge cobra with straight axle rear all done for maybe around 6 grand.. and thats including what i have in my foxbody i just picked up yesterday!

sounds legit.. atleast in my head. what are your thoughts?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Yes it can be done but why not leave it in the fox? lighter, smaller car=faster car.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:20 AM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

true. valid point there.. just love the looks of the new edge
Old 04-03-2013, 10:27 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

The main reason there isn't a write up is because for the most part it's not a worthwhile swap. The 3.8 in the new edge makes about the same numbers as a fox 5.0 stock for stock. By the time you put enough money into it to make it somewhat worth while you could have bought a 4.6 new edge and put some money into that and it make better numbers.

On top of all that emissions regulations and auto modifying regulations vary from state to state and some states it's illegal to install a motor from an older car into a newer car. Most states your car is subject to the emissions rules for the body, so when you install and older motor it will no longer pass smog. Even if the motor is bone stock and passed smog in the fox.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:36 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

get a 5.0 k member from a 94-95 gt and drop it in...
Old 04-03-2013, 10:44 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Yeah, it's simple to do but your not gaining any power and then you have a crap ton of legal hoops to jump through.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

I agree, keep it in the fox. 6 grand can buy a really nice crate motor
Old 04-03-2013, 11:14 AM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

appreciate all the feed back..

lucky for me, i dont give a flying dick about emissions testing as FL doesnt do it. thank god.. as for the power in the 5.0 vs the 4.6 stock for stock.. i dont disagree.. however, this would be more of a "visual" mod.. like i said before, always wanted to build a termi.. and i am still gettin all the specifics on the build out on the motor in the fox i just bought yesterday, but from what i was told, it runs high elevens.. soooo that being said, if its true, i cant complain. plus its cammed and long tubes, and sounds beast.

but then, one may bring up the valid point that if i dont do the new edge swap, i would then have plenty of funds to put towards FI. possibilities with this car are limitles.. i love it.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Well in that case, like mentioned above grab a k-member out of a 94/95. You might want to check to see is the new edge t5 has the same size input shaft as the fox t5 and is just as strong other wise you might have issues with your speedo and odometer not working (which depends on if you care or not).
Where in FLA are you cause I may be interested in taking some of the leftover fox and new edge parts off your hands.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:30 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

ya ill keep it in mind. any ideas on how much i could find a K member for?.. i live in east orlando area. If/when i ever take this on, ill definitely have a build/swap thread involved, so if its down the road, just look for that.

Quick Reply: Foxbody 5.0 swap into New Edge