5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

no fuel no spark no fan power

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Alex Kant

Angry no fuel no spark no fan power

Got a '94 cobra clone. was a v6 car with a pre '93 5.0 thats modded into the car.it ran a best of 11.05 not gripping on street tires three months ago before it commited suicide on me two months ago. anyways came off the line putting a ricer to shame and lost power going into third gear at about 4grand. had lights interior and exterior. not getting power to my coil. but ive replaced the distributor, ccrm, fuel pump relay, the coil it self, all fuses and relays, ignition switch, and inertia switch. now if i jump the positive side of the coil to the positive side of the battery I get fuel and spark and my fan turns back on. if i try and start the car it spits and sputters and tries to start but wont fully commit.....anyone got any ideas wtf it is?????
Old 04-11-2013, 04:02 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

when you turn the key to the on position do you get any dash lights , such as the mil ? It should light up when key on engine off. I had the same problem on a chevy venture no spark or fuel , no power to the coil packs it ended up being a 12v feed to the computer had a break in it. It could also be a bad ground to the computer.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Alex Kant

dawson i dont have dash lights like engine check light or any of that. i got deletes for all those
Old 04-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Alex Kant

can u explain what u mean by the Mil? maybe i name things differently then you from school and being from the middle of no where wyoming. got anymore ideas just incase? also would it have grounded out like it did if the cable was frayed somewhere? or wouldnt it have done it after it was shut off? could it grounding out somewhere have fried something im missing? i appreciate the 411 on what ur input is. the dude at stage 3 here south of me told me it was the computer itself and swears on it but thats not the case im new to the mustang thing...im more of a pre 79 chevy type thing. technology aint my strong point.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:33 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

mil is just a term used for the check engine light ( malfunction indicator lamp ) but if you took those out they wont help you. As for grounding out , yes it could have blown a fuse under the hood in the power distribution box. There are some big fuses in there and one of those sends power to the computer. I shorted mine out once and blew the fuse resulting in no spark or fuel.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Alex Kant

Yeah ive replaced them all. thats what i thought too. i literally have spent every dollar i had since i came back from deployment trying to get this damn thing to run...replaced everything but the harness itself...im guessing that has to be it then i was thinking maybe im missing something. doesnt make sense for it to be normal when i jump those two posts tho
Old 05-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Alex Kant

Anyone have anymore ideas? It's still down for the count and I really need my car before next month when I take leave
Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

You need to figure out where you have power and where you don't, and whether its there or not when it should/shouldn't be. Then we can help. Ignition switch, computer, coil, distributor, etc. EFI cars are super easy to work on, you just need a multimeter and patience.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

You need to find where your power is going, because it's not going where it needs to. Stupid question...you don't smell anything burning when you try to juice it up do you?

If you're getting juice to everything as long as you put the positive on the coil to the positive on the battery, logic suggests it's a problem between coil and battery. I would test everything between those two points.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:48 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Doesn't have to be going anywhere. That is more likely the case. I'd be digging into the wire loom, sounds like you burnt up a wire. Might not be visible on the outside though, go to work with a multimeter!

Quick Reply: no fuel no spark no fan power